How to gain confidence in fitting hair extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glam Locks

Reaction score
Hi,

I am not a hairdresser but have always had an interest and understanding of Hair Extensions and wanted to start my own mobile business around my full time job (mainly so I'm not risking losing any money but may make some extra)

Yesterday I did a day course learning Micro Rings, Micro Ring Weft and Plaited Weft. I actually found it much harder than I thought! Out of the 5 students I was the only none hairdresser and I think that the lack of handling hair and sectioning hair really slowed me down. I was so panicked at one point I stitched a Micro Weave without fitting the extensions to it!

We learnt how to apply each method but only the method practically. The actual placement of extensions was discussed in the hour theory at the end of the lesson. In the kit we were given some stick tips and weft extensions so last night my mum let me just practice the method on her but she has such fine hair that I tried to do a Micro Weave so that it came round the sides but not too high with her fine hair. I even used three rows of extensions on the top row as it looked so thin but I'm putting this down to the cheap quality of the extensions (hopefully) but it just looked so messy and if she was to wear this method of extensions it would have poked out of her natural hair but if I placed it any further back she would have no extensions at the side of her hair (I angled it at the side)

Basically, I'm really worried about paying clients! I'm going to do her a full head of micro rings and I'm going to do a plaited weave for my sister and possibly a Micro Weave on my best friend. They're only paying trade price for the hair but this will be the first time that I place the extensions properly and I just have a picture in a manual to go off? I feel bad if I ruin the extensions that they have paid for!

Is it a good idea to get a dolls head and practice practice practice the application and placement before doing real clients? I was so excited and now I'm petrified!

I'm really grateful in advance for any help!

Thanks
Nat xxxx

you can be a great hairdresser, dear. fighting!

Practice makes perfect and your doing the right thing by practicing on family who won't judge before you advertise your services.

Buying a head and practicing is a good plan, it will get you used to sectioning and you can play around with the placement, it will also get you comfortable.

Keep doing what your doing and have faith in yourself.

Practice hair is not going to be high quality like the hair you would install on a client so you are right that that could be the reason it looks so thin.

There's also that not every method will suit every hair type. With thin hair micro rings or nano would be preferable to a weave due to the bulk, so although practicing it on your mum was good for you it just wasn't the right technique for her.

Good luck!

Its all practice practice practice form here. Im not a fan myself of courses that try to squeeze several methods in one day. I can imagine the sew in weave not being easy at all for non hairdressers to pick up so that in itself should be a course on its own.
Same applies with individual micro rings, there is so much to learn, correct placement/how much natural hair to pick up/ blending colours/contra indications etc etc.
Going forward, I would pick the method you feel was covered in most detail and one you have more confidence in and go with that to start with, really practice it over and over again and perfect it.
And don't be afraid to go back to the training provider to ask for more help, thats what they should be there for. A lot of courses offer a free refresher if you didn't pick it up first time around.

Dolls head is really good and if you have any sisters or friends to practice on.

Thank you all so much for your advice and positivity it really helps, I’ve ordered a dolls head, lots of practice extensions and I’m going to aim to try and do a set each day to build up my confidence of handling hair and placing them before I start on people!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply xxx

I would just practise and practise. Do around 10 sets before charging clients. We all have to start somewhere x

I'm doing free fittings to gain experience. They just pay me what I buy the hair for. Means they get great hair, I get to practice and gain confidence, and I also end up with great images to build my portfolio.
x

I'm doing free fittings to gain experience. They just pay me what I buy the hair for. Means they get great hair, I get to practice and gain confidence, and I also end up with great images to build my portfolio.
x
T, Would you like to practice on me perhaps...thanks x

Latest posts

Back