How to get a job after completing my level 3

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sian85

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anyone could offer me advise on my current situation, I completed my level 3 hairdressing in June and the salon in which I completed my training at is unable to keep me on due to lack of clients, even though I've finished my level 3 I still feel like I've got a lot to learn and still got a lot more experience to get, at college we was advised once you've finished your course you're a fully qualified stylist who can do anything as a stylist, I don't personally feel is the case, and after training in a quiet salon which mainly did basic and colouring techniques, I would like to go to a salon which offers more technical techniques but due to a lack of experience I'm not sure how to apply for these salons and was wondering if anyone can offer advise as I've sent my cv to salons but I'm not really sure what kind of position I'm asking them to keep me in mind for, is it best to volunteer to begin with? Thank you

I hate to say but it may mean back tracking- an NVQ isn’t a salon ready course but your bonus is you’ve already got experience. I would be applying for junior stylist jobs with the view you will need guidance so maybe a salon that can offer model session but you can get some hands on experience doing some basics on clients. It’s hard for a salon because your entitled to minimum wage now and can’t be an apprentice so you will be getting a wage the same as a on the floor stylist. Just keep asking around, in the meantime check out your local wholesalers to see if they have any theory course or one day courses to see if you have gain some confidence that way ( I believe technically you can’t volunteer and be hands on but I may be wrong)

Unfortunately, those running these courses are not - IMO - being fair to their students when they give the impression a level 3 entitles them to apply for a 'senior stylist' position.

No way will they be ready....At best, they will be at a junior stylist level.:oops:

It takes at least 5 years to be competent in hair.....and that is after working in a salon where the standards are high.

Remember...you become your environment!

Work with well trained, motivated people....and you will absorb their knowledge and progress.......;)
Work with lazy numpties.......you get my drift....:p

Do a 'quickie' course....that just 'skims' the surface......and then go it alone....ie. mobile....and you will not develope and grow.
You need further training and a support team.:cool:

Find a good salon, who can offer you on going training, and accept a junior/assistant position, possibly for a year or so.

Good Luck.

I hate to say but it may mean back tracking- an NVQ isn’t a salon ready course but your bonus is you’ve already got experience. I would be applying for junior stylist jobs with the view you will need guidance so maybe a salon that can offer model session but you can get some hands on experience doing some basics on clients. It’s hard for a salon because your entitled to minimum wage now and can’t be an apprentice so you will be getting a wage the same as a on the floor stylist. Just keep asking around, in the meantime check out your local wholesalers to see if they have any theory course or one day courses to see if you have gain some confidence that way ( I believe technically you can’t volunteer and be hands on but I may be wrong)

Thank you for your response, I will take this into consideration and look into other courses in my area

Latest posts

Back