How to start work in a nail salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bengibobs

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you can help me out.

About a year ago I started taking interest in acrylic nails and art inspired by Japanese nail art. So I learned how to do L&P from the internet. A friend of mine saw some of my works and asked me to work in her nail salon. I'd like to since I want to earn some money as I'm still at uni but because I wasn't professionally trained, is that like... taboo in the nail world, like working with no formal qualifications. I'm by no means a professional but I think with some practice and teaching from the owner I'm good to work? I really can't afford to take courses since I'm studying psychology at uni, being a nail tech is not my long term career, unless anyone can recommend cheap courses?

I really don't know which paths to take and what qualifications are required in order to work in a nail salon so would appreciate it if you guys can help me out!

TIA!

Hi, As of yet there is no legislation in this country that I know of that means you have to have training to be a nail technician. HOWEVER you would not be insured to work on anyone even if you obtain insurance it would not be valid. I would suggest that you look into a local college for an accredited evening class or something to a) get you upto scratch and b) teach you everything else, its not all about doing beautiful nails there is soooo much more to learn. hth. Claire x

Hi everyone, hope you can help me out.

About a year ago I started taking interest in acrylic nails and art inspired by Japanese nail art. So I learned how to do L&P from the internet. A friend of mine saw some of my works and asked me to work in her nail salon. I'd like to since I want to earn some money as I'm still at uni but because I wasn't professionally trained, is that like... taboo in the nail world, like working with no formal qualifications. I'm by no means a professional but I think with some practice and teaching from the owner I'm good to work? I really can't afford to take courses since I'm studying psychology at uni, being a nail tech is not my long term career, unless anyone can recommend cheap courses?

I really don't know which paths to take and what qualifications are required in order to work in a nail salon so would appreciate it if you guys can help me out!

TIA!

As has already been said there is a lot more to 'doing nails' than putting product on people. You need to know about anatomy and the structure of the natural nail, the chemical make-up of the products you are working with, how to work safely and cleanly, as well as how to structure a nail enhancement for ongoing strength and beauty.

If you want to work in a salon you need to do a decent training course and that will not be cheap. If this is not your long-term career goal, then maybe you should leave it to someone to whom it is. If you work on the public untrained you risk your friend being sued without insurance cover if something goes wrong.

Hth's

There are all sorts of licence's that have to be in place to run a salon in London,
your friend could be breaking some rules by employing unqualified staff, hth

Yes thank you, it has been helpful. I understand that there is a lot more than just applying the product and making it look pretty. I've asked if my friend can fund my course (haha wishful thinking but maybe she will be generous?). Anyhows thanks!

Latest posts

Back