I am still learning colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reidebot

Down the Rabbit hole.
Reaction score
Hey. I am getting a lot of redflags in terms of colour when my boss is around. My gut tells me he is wrong so I feel like I just need confirmation.

So basically we had a client come in yesterday. She wanted this;
ab92caa11a4231d5085c8dc4426d6e24--short-hair-balyage-brunettes-dark-roots-balayage-brunettes.jpg

but with the light pieces more towards the ends and quite a bit darker.

my boss highlighted the hair. She has been at home tinting with salon quality products (her best friend owns a salon). As I am training my boss asked me to design the toner. I was all for that but I said "I would prefer to look at the hair after the foils come out first," as her hair had 6 years of level 1. He got really angry at me and called me an idiot for over complicating things.

Her hair was very red copper (more of the red side) and so we looked at the colour book. My boss claimed she could only get reds which she did not want at all. I said "I actually feel this colour is achievable" (5/4 4 being a little red but it was subtle). My boss agreed. So he mixed up the 5/4. I thought if the hair was already warm we would need to just mix up the 5.0 or even add a tiny dot of matte into it.

My client referred to her hair as brassy and hated it. But my boss keeps saying the colours come true to their swatches. I just didn't think this was quite right so I am asking for a second opinion. Not to say anything bad about him but my gut is telling me you have to consider the hair colour before applying the tint.
1 (current hair colour) + 2 (tint) = 3

See I'm still training but If the client wanted a tad of red I would have put 5.0 on its own as it would darken the colour down but still see a shimmer of red. As you already have the red tone it's just depth what's needed.

If she was a level 1 then firstly the base should have been lightened to a 4 go this pic then the pieces are most likely a level 8.

So really this would have been a colour correction.

The base for this is gold - if you had red then it’s way off.

Is 5/4 red in your colour line?

I don’t tone with bases but if she wanted to not be warm then I would have use matte tones yes.

You have to always consider undertone, so if it was very red to begin with you wouldn't need to add more red, the image looks more golden. That would never be achieved In one sitting.

If your boss isn't very helpful or encouraging I would strongly suggest getting on an advanced colour course, you'll love it! I don't the wella master colour programme and it is invaluable the information you learn

Latest posts

Back