I need an apprenticeship salon!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodie4156

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm really getting stressed out with finding a salon that will take on apprenticeships :( I am almost finished my level 2 in hairdressing and think it will be more beneficial for me to do my level 3 in a salon to gain more experience and confidence..

Does anybody know any websites I can look at for finding salons that take on apprenticeships or do any of you salon owners in the west midlands want or know of any salons that want an apprenticeship worker!

I love hairdressing but I'm finding all jobs on offer want at least 5 years experience but how can us trainees gain the experience without the chance to do so!

Any help/advice is much appreciated xx

You could contact your local college or training provider. Connexions may also be able to help as will the job centre plus website for your area. You could also try hairdressers journal jobs or hair recruitment.com. I hope I have been of some help xx

Thanks il try hairrecruitment.com and see how that goes haven't been on that one before thanks for replying xx

Go in to the salons like you would looking fr any job with a cv, a list of qualifications, and a cover letter to that salon only. Sell yourself when you go in, ask for the manager or owner and ask them about it. Remember that the pay won't b great as its the first year of apprenticeship, and you may not get many clients coming in, and you have to slowly prove your skills, have a friend or relative on hand to ask to go in as a model for you to show at a trade test xoxo

Hiya,

You might want to try Saks? If there's one in your area, they seem big on apprenticeships I have an interview on tuesday with them and I never expected them to get back to me as I haven been in the industry for three years

Xx

There isn't a Saks near me I just checked out their website :( .. Good luck on your interview though! xx

Thank you! :)

Good luck to you too, hope you find a salon I'm sure you will :)

Xx

Thank you! :)

Good luck to you too, hope you find a salon I'm sure you will :)

Xx

Thanks I hope so too! So how did your interview go x

Ive got a interview from applying on here but there is hardly any for further north so i applied down south but its worth a look x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

its ok and thanks just waiting for the answer now but that is a great website alot advertise on there z

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Thanks I hope so too! So how did your interview go x

It went really well thank you, only down fall is they tell you how fantastic it's going to be then break it to you that it consists of on going "trials" starting with a day, then a week, then 3 months ect..

And I don't think I can afford to travel there for the trial periods to actually wait to see weather I have the job from then after. So just abit gutted that it's not just a weeks trial or something, but then again it is Saks and I can see why they don't want to waste their time and training on someone who could be wrong for the job lol

Xx

It went really well thank you, only down fall is they tell you how fantastic it's going to be then break it to you that it consists of on going "trials" starting with a day, then a week, then 3 months ect..

And I don't think I can afford to travel there for the trial periods to actually wait to see weather I have the job from then after. So just abit gutted that it's not just a weeks trial or something, but then again it is Saks and I can see why they don't want to waste their time and training on someone who could be wrong for the job lol

Xx

Sorry to hear that! They could tell you this on the brief of applying! How annoying hope you find something else that's better for you xx

I offered my self for voluntary work for 2 weeks and after that I got my apprenticeship! Most junior stylists these days just want money and can't be bothered to train, so I can understand why salons don't want apprentices when they can have a voluntary worker 1 day a week from a local college, but if you show willing then they might employ you

I offered my self for voluntary work for 2 weeks and after that I got my apprenticeship! Most junior stylists these days just want money and can't be bothered to train, so I can understand why salons don't want apprentices when they can have a voluntary worker 1 day a week from a local college, but if you show willing then they might employ you

I can understand why they do aswell, better seeing if the person is genuinely interested than hiring straight away and wasting time and money on someone who isn't right for the salon

Xx

Yeah I agree too but being 17 with no money no driving license and finding somewhere local enough to work is tough lol it's the way it is though for many people, just got to get on with searching and applying! x

I'm hoping they're gonna pay you on your trial???!!! Legally they have to pay you minimum wage during trial period!! Sounds like they want something for nothing!

Yeah I agree too but being 17 with no money no driving license and finding somewhere local enough to work is tough lol it's the way it is though for many people, just got to get on with searching and applying! x

I also see where your coming from! Lol it's a tough industry eh :-/ xx

And nope don't think they were paying, and as it was an apprenticeship the rate they were going to pay when I was employed was the national min for apprenticeships which is £2.50 per hour? Not such a good move for me With travel ect but nevermind :) I've enrolled for college now just because it's an easier option when I've got kids

Xx

Latest posts

Back