IBD Gel lamp debate continues....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bimbogeri

Reaction score
Started my Odyssey training yesterday and the trainer (great woman called Jan) also teaches IBD. I asked her about the whole lamp question and she told me that the Daylight Company lamp with the 4x 9 watt bulbs (as sold by Ellisons) WILL cure IBD gel in the right times, the only downside is that the timer on it is not set to IBD cure times (whereas their's is) so you have to set it to 'manual' and time it yourself.

I'm not saying I don't believe my trainer, I just wondered if anyone had first-hand experience of using the Daylight Company lamp with IBD to confirm that they are compatible, as I have spotted them on offer for £20 below the RRP.

I'm not against buying the IBD lamp at all, and totally accept and agree with the point that gels should be used with their proper lamps, but as my trainer has said that using this lamp is fine (and she came up with the brand name and pointed it out in the shop, I didn't prompt her to a certain brand), and it's on offer.... My dad is a bit upset right now because he's seen the new motorbike he wants (his is on the way out) but can't justify buying it with all the outgoings I'm causing, so....
Maybe not the most professional reason for picking a lamp, but I have to appreciate how much he is spending to help me!

Anyone have any first hand experience or comments?

Lol x

you are in a pickle with this lamp aren't you (saw your previous threads!) The bit with your dad is unfortunately the 'downside' of asking family for loans...after all if you're paying him back it's your call what you buy...
I would still go with the relevant lamp for the relevant product...i would want to feel confident that if i had any 'problems' i could pin point them and i know it would always be in the back of my mind that it might be the lamp - if you get my drift! It's hard enough at the beginning get it all right - prep, ratio etc etc - you don't need uncured products into this equation! At the end of the day, you're only talking a few squid, so personally i'd go with the relevant lamp to product.
bet this doesn't help at all - i know i'm dreadful when faced with a choice!!

best of luck and enjoy your training!

I agree with Dianne. It is safer to use the UV Lamp that goes with the system to be sure of a complete cure with any gel. It also is more professional.

IBD have several UV Lamps so I'm sure there is one to fit the pocketbook.

Latest posts

Back