If it's possible I could have 75 gelcolors

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emma84

Reaction score
I have used OPI gelcolor and painted a glitter laquer over the top and then used the gelcolor topcoat over it, do far do gd, was just wondering if I could do this with all of my laquer colours?

Sorry Emma, just to be clear are you asking if you could use normal polishes with your gelcolour topcoat?

If that's the question then yes, perhaps you could but you wouldn't really be advised to perform it as a professional service as you are not following manufacturer's advice on how to perform gelcolour service, mixing systems and not using the full gelcolour system. You couldn't charge the same or expect the service to last as long. Plus you wouldn't be able to topcoat immediately as polish takes a while to dry.

That said I have Shellac'd my nails before including topcoat, then put CND 24k gold polish over it (like a glitter coat) then waited 24hrs before putting another shellac topcoat on it, and it worked really well. I only did this on myself over Christmas, and even though it worked wouldn't offer it to clients as it isn't the proper Shellac service.

Apologies if I've totally misunderstood your question! Xx

I have used OPI gelcolor and painted a glitter laquer over the top and then used the gelcolor topcoat over it, do far do gd, was just wondering if I could do this with all of my laquer colours?

There's a colour that I love from the Holland collection, I put a base coat on then put my normal polish on and the the top coat.

I've had it on a week now and no chips, it's really shinny, looks like a gel.

I would never offer this to my clients but for my own use lol :)

Oh no I did only mean on myself, would only stick to the real gelcolor for clients as that's what they would pay for I would never try to pass something off as gelcolor if it wasn't, but then I guess I am leaving myself open to the clients that say I want whats on your nails ( meaning mine ) which would be fine as I could use the same laquer on them but obviously the topcoat is never going to be as shiny as the gelcolor topcoat hmm what do?! Thanks for the replies btw xx

Have u tried minx and then gelcolour topcoat?!

They look fab, not sure how long they last as only just done a set but I'm sure they will be fine same concept!

I don't do minx unfortunately, only free hand nail art which is :0) and :0( lol x

I have heard of people doing this, it's called "jelly sandwiching". It's where you use a gel polish base coat and cure, then apply your regular polish to the base. You must wait until your regular polish is dried completely before applying your gel top coat. There are tutorials on YouTube for this application. I wouldn't use it on clients but I would use it on myself for those fav colors that I can't get in gel polish.

If I wouldn't consider doing something on my clients, I wouldn't do it on myself either.

My nails are an advertising board which I would not risk. Also, as someone else said, what are you going to say if a client asks what you have on?

I have started to layer my gelcolor to create my own colours, but I will definitely be 'jelly sandwiching' my nails on nights out ( mainly because I can lol and then clients won't c them as I can change them back before i start working again :0)) thanks for all your help :0) xx

Have a look at the gel colour group on here and read about ManiQ with polish,
hope this is useful;)

Latest posts

Back