If you could choose any course, which would you do next and why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creative Keren

Creative Nail Studio
Reaction score
It's often difficult to choose between what we think would be the best next step for our business and what we personally would love to do if we could. Client demand says to me that I should invest in massage but frankly I have no desire to do that myself but obviously am considering it to boost my business. If I could chose any course, I would love to do make up as it's always interested me but there isn't a demand in my area for it. As you can imagine that causes quite a pickle for me. If you could chose any course as your next one, what would it be and why? Are you all about your business strategy or do you let your personal preferences sway your decision?

I definitely go with what I enjoy next year I've booked bellabaci massage and going uo to do kim lawless training more for confidence as already wax.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've honestly never been swayed by my clientele. I tell them what I am doing and why. I research. My clients don't know about HD brows or Kim Lawless intimate waxing but they know that I'm planning to do training as I tell them for weeks beforehand. Then I tell them all the stories about what happened at training and then I book them in. None of my clients ever asked me for a Brazilian and probably never would have but when I start talking about it, usually making them laugh in the process, you can see their thoughts shift. When I did brazilian training with Kim, I had three booked in for the Saturday. From a client base that never even knew what a Brazilian was!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Vidal Sassoons ABC cutting course 😍 - to improve my skills after level 3 and experience London!

Wella Master Colour Expert - because I love colour, but there's so much I don't know and science behind it to learn!

I'd like to train with MAC or Illamasqua for make-up one day (either do half hair and half on a counter or full time on a counter), because I love the products and have heard good things about the training too 😄 there's so many times I've had to do make-up alongside hair and don't feel totally comfortable because my skills are limited.

And train in every type of hair extensions too, Balmain as well.

All based on personal preference and interest rather than potential profit I guess! Sorry they're all hair based haha! Xx

Also I'd like to do a HND in hair and salon management, and maybe progress onto Business Management BA 😊 so many courses so little money! Xx

Last edited:
If money, time and distance was no issue I would work my way through the entire CND courses and get my Masters. Sadly life tends to get in the way so it's a slow process, by the time I've done it I'll be ready to retire :eek:

If money, time and distance was no issue I would work my way through the entire CND courses and get my Masters. Sadly life tends to get in the way so it's a slow process, by the time I've done it I'll be ready to retire :eek:

Oh I know just how that feels! I'm adamant that one day I'll be a grand master but getting there isn't easy haha. I'd love to do the L&P with them next but to be honest most of my clients prefer Shellac and natural nail care. Seems like the courses I'm interested in doing don't have much demand in my area so it's a tough choice when you think am I going to shell out the money and time for what? My own personal gratification? Or spend the money on a course that I have little interest in but know clients want so it's a easy money maker.

Oh I know just how that feels! I'm adamant that one day I'll be a grand master but getting there isn't easy haha. I'd love to do the L&P with them next but to be honest most of my clients prefer Shellac and natural nail care. Seems like the courses I'm interested in doing don't have much demand in my area so it's a tough choice when you think am I going to shell out the money and time for what? My own personal gratification? Or spend the money on a course that I have little interest in but know clients want so it's a easy money maker.

There's a fine line isn't there? Certainly some courses would be mostly for my benefit, such as new techniques or simply to build my own confidence. I've done all the CND basics like L&P, gel, Shellac, spa mani and pedi so the rest are for my benefit and would be difficult to quantify making my money back.

Normally when I do a completely new treatment though, I work out total cost, including new product/equipment needed and then how long it will take me to cover costs and start making a profit on it.

A Perming course!!!! Never did the exam with NVQ so not at all comfortable with it. And it's still pretty popular in my area.

Followed by a hair up course. Because I am pure scared of hair up!

And come sort of colouring course. Something like baylage. I wanna have more confidence in my colouring skills and techniques.

I'd also wanna improve on my blowdries. I still look at the finished product and feel let down by my blowdry on occasion. 5 years on!!

And a wet shave course! This and perming has been swayed by clients. The rest is for me and my confidence!! X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've honestly never been swayed by my clientele. I tell them what I am doing and why. I research. My clients don't know about HD brows or Kim Lawless intimate waxing but they know that I'm planning to do training as I tell them for weeks beforehand. Then I tell them all the stories about what happened at training and then I book them in. None of my clients ever asked me for a Brazilian and probably never would have but when I start talking about it, usually making them laugh in the process, you can see their thoughts shift. When I did brazilian training with Kim, I had three booked in for the Saturday. From a client base that never even knew what a Brazilian was!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Spot on. There is a massive difference between what professionals know and what consumers know. There are some who do fab brows and have never been near HD training and those who have had HD training who will never be any good at brows. A successful business is more than just brand names, its about being good at what you do and building a relationship with your clients.

I'd do the Vidal sasoon abc course after my level 3 and I'd love to do semi permanent makeup but don't think you can really do that on the side it seems quite intense. I'd love to do salon and spa management. Bar the semi perm makeup I think ill do the other two in the not too distant future xx

I'd do the Vidal sasoon abc course after my level 3 ...

I've seen this course commented about before. What exactly is it? Cutting? Colouring? X

I have enrolled to start a make up course with the London school of beauty and make up starting in Jan next year.

I want to do a waxing course. As someone has mentioned to me on a previous post it will be my bread and butter treatment. I would also like to do a course for eyebrows as well. I would love to be able to do a hair up course as well. So then I could cater for bridal hair and make up. Hopefully I'll win the lottery to pay for all of this too 😃

Leely x

I said I was going to do one stroke nail art this year and I haven't - god knows where the year has gone. So I AM going to do it next year. Looking into Crystal Nails in Doncaster as its pretty close & I know people who have recommended it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I said I was going to do one stroke nail art this year and I haven't - god knows where the year has gone. So I AM going to do it next year. Looking into Crystal Nails in Doncaster as its pretty close & I know people who have recommended it.

Isn't Gemma Lambert somewhere near there too and offers art courses? I've seen pics of her students work on fb and they're amazing.

Yes apparently she does training for crystal nails. Someone I know said it was brilliant & she's lovely.

Latest posts

Back