I'm looking at doing a course but I'm not sure how I feel about the training company

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
As above. Advice please.

I'm looking to do the VTCT level 3 diploma in aromatherapy. It's something I've wanted to do for a while but with course costs going up and colleges offering less courses generally, I'm finding it hard to find something suitable.

So anyways, I'm looking at taking this qualification with the carlton institute because as someone who has been massaging for 2 years (nvq3 qualified) and is good at independent learning and who can be APL'd for some bit of the qualification, I feel that this would suit me. However, I feel they charge for literally everything...if I'm the only one on the course for the day and they or I can't find a model then I'd have to pay an admin fee for them to change the course date for me. I'm not sure how I feel about this but instinctively I'm questioning the ethics of this and as much as the learning style of this course would suit me, I'm anxious that the sense of there being hidden type costs that are beyond my control a bit unethical.

But I really want to do this course and the initial course is cheaper than many others. I literally just need to learn how to blend the oils and get qualified in that.

I'll have to pay travel to Windsor too which isn't cheap. You also have to pay reassessment fees if you don't pass first time. But as I say I want to do this course and my experience as a therapist so far would make a 1 year part time college course seem unnecessarily time consuming in comparison (that's also time/money as I could spend that time working).

I did my nvq2 with the carlton and wouldn't recommend them for that but through experience, I am now better qualified to make a judgement as to whether a short course would suit me for not and for aromatherapy I feel this would work well. I just can't figure out whether to go with them or not. Like I know they'd get the job done but I'm not sure how I feel about going with a company who charges you for literally everything when I know that this isn't always a norm with lots of other training companies.

Help! I also feel pressured to make a decision soon because the course is on offer at a reduced price for a limited period.

I guess the obvious answer is to go with your instinct but I really want to do this qualification and I have yet to find a better and more cost/time effective way of doing it.

Geek help needed please :)

As above. Advice please.

I'm looking to do the VTCT level 3 diploma in aromatherapy. It's something I've wanted to do for a while but with course costs going up and colleges offering less courses generally, I'm finding it hard to find something suitable.

So anyways, I'm looking at taking this qualification with the carlton institute because as someone who has been massaging for 2 years (nvq3 qualified) and is good at independent learning and who can be APL'd for some bit of the qualification, I feel that this would suit me. However, I feel they charge for literally everything...if I'm the only one on the course for the day and they or I can't find a model then I'd have to pay an admin fee for them to change the course date for me. I'm not sure how I feel about this but instinctively I'm questioning the ethics of this and as much as the learning style of this course would suit me, I'm anxious that the sense of there being hidden type costs that are beyond my control a bit unethical.

But I really want to do this course and the initial course is cheaper than many others. I literally just need to learn how to blend the oils and get qualified in that.

I'll have to pay travel to Windsor too which isn't cheap. You also have to pay reassessment fees if you don't pass first time. But as I say I want to do this course and my experience as a therapist so far would make a 1 year part time college course seem unnecessarily time consuming in comparison (that's also time/money as I could spend that time working).

I did my nvq2 with the carlton and wouldn't recommend them for that but through experience, I am now better qualified to make a judgement as to whether a short course would suit me for not and for aromatherapy I feel this would work well. I just can't figure out whether to go with them or not. Like I know they'd get the job done but I'm not sure how I feel about going with a company who charges you for literally everything when I know that this isn't always a norm with lots of other training companies.

Help! I also feel pressured to make a decision soon because the course is on offer at a reduced price for a limited period.

I guess the obvious answer is to go with your instinct but I really want to do this qualification and I have yet to find a better and more cost/time effective way of doing it.

Geek help needed please :)
I am inclined to agree with your concerns, does it have to be VTCT or would you consider clinical aromatherapy? x

I think you're slightly underestimating what's involved in true aromatherapy - there's slightly more to it than a quick short course in knocking up a blend of oils! If you are serious about learning aromatherapy proper, and not just being able to offer a massage with some nice smells, I would look further afield at a proper aromatherapy course that properly covers the oils, considerations of blending and means of application (aside from just their use in massage).

I definitely want to do the vtct. To be fair i have heard that the qualification itself can be less in depth than the bredth of the whole subject of aromatherapy overall but it is important for me to be vtct qualified because i want to have the pleasure of learning and giving the treatment and have a qualification that will allow me to teach it in a college at a later date.

Just need to find somewhere that can get me through the vtct effectively and at a fair price. The kit recommended for the qualification looks lush. Not loads of oils but a good starting point :)

I think you've answered your own question.

Just to add...another worry of doing it with the carlton institute is bookong a hotel only to find the course gets cancelled. It sounds great in theory but because they say its a low interest course subject to cancellations im not sure how to proceed :s

Like as long as i can get a model it should be ok but its just that worry of what if i cant but then i am a bit of a worrier.

Hmmmm what to do what to do.....

If you book a Premier Inn, you can cancel :)

Aromatherapy Diploma

I hope this link helps. This is a course I've been looking into.

I'm not 100% sure but I think in the last year the regs changed. Aromatherapy is now basically pre-blended oils for massage, which you still learn a little about the oils, carriers ect. And is usually a lot cheaper to study.

Clinical Aromatherpy is to treat clients legally with pure oils/carrier oil and mixing them yourself. I've found that courses are usually over £1000.

As with most things, you get what you pay for.

Simply a choice of finance and quality/depth of treatment you want to provide. Either way, good luck xx

Clinical therapy does look good but for myself, I aim to stay employed in the beauty industry after which I seek to teach. The more advanced aromatherapy tends to be more executed in a self employed role so it is fair bit more in depth for what I need. For me, the beauty of the VTCT is that it will expand on the pre-blended aromatherapy unit I did at nvq3 whilst giving me more of an understanding how to blend my own oils for the purpose of massage. A lot of employed roles don't require these skills but I would like to do it for my own interest plus to learn more about ingredients I am referring to when retailing pre-blended products.

I understand that most spas are more likely to sell a brand of pre-blended oils and I guess this would explain why a lot of people don't seek to do the VTCT diploma in aromatherapy where you are taught to blend your own oils.

I definitely want to do the VTCT but it's so hard to find somewhere. I *could* go with this company to get what I want because I will always read more into a subject regardless of the course quality and I can already do a good massage with lots of moves up my sleeve. I'm just worried about them messing me around when it's not exactly on my doorstep :S Hmmmm, to gamble on them or not I guess, that is the question.

I think you've answered your own question.

I agree with Kim, if you are set on VTCT then go with that, my recommendation would be' the IFPA course as suggested by another poster.

Latest posts

Back