I'm very busy, should I take on someone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Sylk

Reaction score
I'm self employed work from my salon room at home. I'm always busy, so busy I turn people away and sadly often my regulars as some don't pre book but even when they do they have accidents with nails lashes etc or have party/events come up and need irregular slots for a last minute preen.

Obviously it's me they want, my work my designs etc. my regulars I'd keep for me but simple treatments and newer clients I could pass on to a new therapist maybe?

I work tue-sat 10-2.45 and 2 evenings 7-9 that's all I can do that fits around my life and family. Even those hours sometimes stress me out as I suffer from stress and anxiety and a difficult child at times.

I love my job and think one dAy I can work 9-5, when my child is older but I struggle for now.

Im nervous at the thought of sharing with someone what I know, I'm a very good teacher with years if skills and knowledge. I just imagine them buggering off and taking that with them after a short time and then I've set them up lovely haven't I?!?
It's a scary thought and I struggle trusting people anyway. But I'd not have someone not working to my standard , my clients want what I do so I'd have to have the girl doing the same.

Anyone with a small business done this??
What are your experiences?
Would this suit a college leaver?
Any advice appreciated.

When you say "pass on" do you mean you want to refer your clients to somebody else rather than employ them in your salon?

If so, then yes of course that person has the possibility of poaching those clients long term.

In my head I see 3 options.

1 - you refer your clients on and send them to another person be that a newly qualified student or just another person in the market you know will do a good job.

2 - you employ somebody in your salon for set days/hours so you are still in control of the diary, the customers and training up the staff member.

3 - you put your prices up. Supply vs demand means that putting your price up will mean you will inevitably loose some clients who do not want to pay the higher price but you would be making more money for your (limited) time and it would solve the problem of having to keep turning people away.

Thanks for reply :)

Sorry I didn't mean pass on in that way I mean when I'm full and booked up with my regulars, she will cover the next lot here in my salon, the ones I can't fit in. Set days and times will be sorted yes.

But do I employ or let her be self employed?
I think with a college leaver I'd be best to employ as she won't know how to do her tax and ni and she needs to focus in the job not her books.

A friend of mine who's very mature and confident is offering herself too me. She's just finished level 2 and starting 3. Soon though she will be good enough to start her own so she could leave me :( she's about 20 mins away do wouldn't be direct competition though so that's good news, I know my clients won't drive that far. Hmmm....

Number 3 is a good point! X

Also I have help of a family accountant on employment law, tax returns etc etc

I would put your prices up first. See how it goes then if you feel you still need extra help employ someone. Not everyone wants to work self employed. They may just want the ease of going to do their job then leaving the rest to you.

If you are offering self employment then any clients she see's become "hers" rather than yours automatically so you could never accuse her of poaching clients.

If you employ her it will mean more paper work but could work nicely with fixed hours etc :)

I still think 3 is what I would go for personally as it is the least agro :D

I've decided to give a friend a go. Well a kind of friend.
She's newly qualified in level 2 and some short courses.
She's asking for 70-80%!!!!
Using my salon, my home, my clients mostly, my promotion etc.
Working the times I'm not working.
She's mature and a quick learner which is great. But she's very business minded and will leave me as soon as hers I'd up and running.
However she's said I'm too cheap and it's not going to be worth it for her. I said to have my experience and training and advice is priceles to a newbie. That alone is £200 a half day for me when i need one to one! Also I've got her first day this week booked up full and she's taking a long time to do treatments at moment till she's up to speed.

She's overly confident and slightly ignorant to the running of a business.
I have a feeling once I work out cost per treatment (god knows how it's been a while) the percentage isn't going to be what she wants.

Have you thought about renting your room out to her on certain days and you take a cut of her profits or she just pays you a standard charge for the use of the premises/electric/water.

You would also have to work out if she would use your products/equipment or bring her own.

Might be an idea.

To me it sounds like she is of the opinion that she is doing you a favour. Set out your requirements, and if its a good fit then go for it, otherwise.....next!

Would you really want someone that is in your words 'over confident and business ignorant' anywhere near your business?

Xx

In my opinion don't have your friend self employed, if you want YOUR Business to grow employ someone and you set the rules etc, get your business to the point it will make you money even if your not working.
Have a good contract, be fair but firm !
Sounds like your a fab therapist expand !
Hope all works out for you x

I'm just in the throws of sorting something out with my salon (expanding it) at home & then am taking 1-2 people on

Like you I'm so busy I turn people away. Both people are just finishing there college courses & will be able to do:

Spray tanning
Waxing
Manicure/pedicure
Makeup
Shellac
Eyelash extensions

I don't do waxing or extensions so this will open another set of doors for me as I turn people away for this..

I will also have the space to have 2-3 shrinking violets on the go as again. I have to turn people away for certain times or book them in another day/time

Both of these want me to employ them so they know they are getting a set wage everyday rather than renting a room out & then worrying about having to find clients etc

I have a big client base.

Def worth a try

I've decided it's less of a headache to have her self employed. She's only doing 1-2 days a week max, 3 in school hols hopefully.

Her new clients she makes here are hers that's fine, however they are a client of "the salon name" if you get me, I'm at full client capacity myself anyway.

I can't give her a contract can I? I can give her a list of expectations or similar.

I'm worried a younger college leaver will scare my clients away and just leave taking everything I taught her and some.

At least I kind if k ow and trust this one.

A question though. If she did my client and didn't do a good job and my client called me how do I deal with this? I have no time too fix and as ages a learner this may well happen x

Admin please delete thread I can't xx thanks

Latest posts

Back