Indecisive about Minx

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixieBeauty

Reaction score
Firstly, I am booked onto two training courses with S2 (Spa and Polished nail) as I really want to push the natural nail/Shellac treatment with clients. At the present moment I can't afford to book onto any more training and pay out for the full Minx kit.

I do have quite a lot of sets of Minx that I have acquired and wondered about offering it IF clients ask for it, using an alternate heat lamp. Then, if it tkes off reinvesting that money into the full kit & training.

What are your thoughts - firstly do I have to do training to offer Minx (does anyone know), and secondly how popular is it? I know this has been asked before and normally I'd just go for it but for my recent outlay on other courses.

Hate being so indecisive...it's just not me!

Would appreciate ANY thoughts on what I should do - shall I just leave it out for now? x

I've been debating the same kind of thing. I've had a career break to have kids and am now in the process of setting up mobile, only problem is I want to do it all but that would cost fortunes!!! Currently debating doing a course in bio gel (used myself for years) Gelish, shellac etc etc the minx is another path i've been thinking about but cant afford to do everything right off so a bit stumped as to the best path to take. I have a friend who does mobile beauty & observed her doing a minx last night, she has a cheaper lamp that she brought from amazon (not official minx one) & her opinion was that it doesn't make much of a difference, the application of minx was pretty straightforward & she said I could do her a set to try it out & see what I think next week. She had all the proper minx files etc just the lamp was different. Would be interested on others input to this question!!!

That's what I'm thinking Jen - I have all the extras for it but would just use another heat lamp till I could see if it was popular enough to warrant buying the black lamp (the white minx one wouldn't do as I'm mobile).

And in order to do the course I'd need the kit so it's a bit of a catch 22! Either give it a go, or wait till I can afford to go the whole hog??

Hi I'm currently starting minx and iv bought an alternative lamp. There are threads on here that say that as long as u have the correct bulb wattage and a lamp that supports it then it will be fine. The threads explain which watt bulb is needed. I can't remember which watt is needed right now and u haven't got my lamp with me. Hth x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

Thanks - am I right in thinking I don't need to do the course to offer it?

I'm pretty sure you don't have to. I researched this myself quite recently.

Are you pretty confident with your application?

I worked in a salon for a year and none of us had training to offer minx but we all did it. The salon did break a lot of rules so I'm not sure if this is right but we never had any problems.

I'm pretty sure that as long has you have a manicure qualification then this is enough to offer minx x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

Hi Ladies - I offer Minx, I have been doing it for months and hadn't had the training - customers love it esp now the winter has gone - I took the plunge and did the training on Monday and I did learn some tips and tricks - mainly how to make 1 pack of Minx stretch to do 4 sets of toes/fingers!! So I did find the course useful and I would recommend it but it's not essential.

Hi Ladies - I offer Minx, I have been doing it for months and hadn't had the training - customers love it esp now the winter has gone - I took the plunge and did the training on Monday and I did learn some tips and tricks - mainly how to make 1 pack of Minx stretch to do 4 sets of toes/fingers!! So I did find the course useful and I would recommend it but it's not essential.

Sounds like the course is well worth going on lol

Pixie it's pretty popular - (I don't offer it, but I do get quite a few enquiries - I'll probably do it next year but for now I've invested in Shellac and spray tanning in the last 6 months and just can't keep on), go for it x

This is the link to the lamp my friend uses Infrared lamp 100 W: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty

She said the good thing about the 'alternative' lamps are that the replacement bulbs don't cost a fortune. I was honestly suprised at how straightforward the application was :D

She only got one application out of the pack tho so sounds like the course would be useful too!!

that lamp looks fine - any infra-red lamp is fine. I was only getting 1 maybe 2 at a push out of a pack too but now i'm going to be very tight!!! lol

Go for it! I love minx as do my clients, as soon as you can get your flip flops on have yours done as it is the best marketing tool..Insurancewise and e.g purchasing minx from sweetsquared you just need your mani certs but defo do the course when you can! from my LG-P970 using SalonGeek

Thanks all!

Right I am convinced. I shall go purchase a lamp, use up a few of the sets I've got and see how I do. If I'm struggling I'll leave it for now but if I can run with it I'll offer it and any money it makes will go in a kitty for the lamp & training.

That's what I did with Shellac and agreed I could do it well enough but definitely picked up tips from training. Thanks for the push-I hate being indecisive!

And I totally agree you have to wear it and show it off to get people interested. I've got a gold/silver snakeskin one I've been eyeing up for ages! X

Thanks Jen will do :D I know how you feel exactly about wanting to do everything at once, I have to stop myself signing up for Brisa training till I get everything else lined up. It's next on the list though. Pleased your experience was that Minx looked easy enough to do. Hi-ho... Off I go to read every minx tutorial I can find!!

Latest posts

Back