Inspired by Jenny2

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauty4you

Reaction score
Well geeks,

After being inspired by Jenny, I was in a local hairdressers who just happen to have a room to let for £100 per week. It is not central but the only one in that part of a small town. Main centre is full of hairdressers with added beauticians or beauticians.

I was asking out of curiosity mainly as I am not in a position with a little girl and a evening / weekend part time job but work mobile and told her this at the start of the conversation. So I offered to service her clientelle on a mobile basis in her room until she gets someone that takes it full time.

However I could do a tuesday and wednesday all day and a few hours a friday and 1/2 day on some saturdays. Due to work and childcare comitiments.

My question to you is would you pay the £100 to secure the room as yours in-case
1. the clientelle builds up for thoses times you can do it or
2. continue to go mobile as I find this is a hit and miss some weeks making little over £100 other weeks making only £15

I could still do mobile evenings when not working and hubby is home so would still pick up my clientelle that I have built on my own although it is not a lot and I am only now getting more regulars.

Thanks,
Catherine

It's a difficult one as having a room doesn't guarantee extra work - perhaps it's worth suggesting some sort of trial deal for a month or so to him. Perhaps suggest going in self-employed on a mobile basis supplying all your own materials & giving them a % of your takings on a trial basis to see how it goes?

I rent one of my rooms out, and my own on my days off, and to help those who took my rooms on I did a no-ties 3 month trial where they paid for the room on a % basis. That way we got a chance to see how we worked together, how it worked out for them & also gave them a chance to build up a client base without it being prohibitively expensive for them. A helping hand on the work ladder so to speak! It also helps me as it brings in extra income, extends the services offered in my salon & as they offer a different service we are able to cross-recommend each other.

Thanks Martin, that wasa what I was thinking was to either offer a % or a day/hourly rate to them...

what % would you say would be fair if I am only using their room although they would be booking the appointments too.

they only offer hair at the mo and her clients are asking for waxing etc which is what I can offer and I think she likes the idea of having me their until she gets someone to take on the room.

Percentages vary quite a bit it seems on perceived value. The last place I worked on this basis was a straight 50/50 split - she provided all the materials & a reception service, all I had to worry about was the treatments. We were charging about £40 for an hour's treatment, manicures less & facials more, thus we took about £20 each per hour, which I thought was fair. It also means it is in both parties interest to promote the service, as both parties benefit.

You may find that it suits the hairdressers better to have a couple of therapists using the room part time as everyone has a different skill set. I for example have trained in appying nail extensions, but don't like doing them, so I don't, instead I pass the work on to another therapist who does!

Latest posts

Back