Insurance frustration

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jillybob

Reaction score
Hi Geek,

I feel like I'm banging my head off of a brick wall just now with trying to sort out insurance for my car and home. I'm currently mobile but only part time and read a thread on here about having to have business use added to my car insurance....easy I thought a quick call to sort out and it'll be done....how wrong I was. I explained I'm only part time, still have my full time job through the week and it was only a few times a week I needed the car for my second job...to be told my insurance provided will not underwrite me and I need a whole new policy that will double my insurance premiums every month!! apparently I'd be classed as a door to door salesman and is the highest business use class! thankfully my insurance is due for renewal next month and I can shop around for a new policy. Then that got me thinking about using my spare bedroom again as a part time salon, still being kept as a bedroom....called my insurance company and again I would have to cancel my policy and start again with another underwriter!! Now I know why so many people are not legit when it comes to insurance etc!! talk about frustrating, has anyone else had the same issues?

It's not all bad now.....shopped for new car insurance and have found other companies willing to insure me with business cover for £10.00 less than my standard car insurance......it is a very strange world we live in at times :confused:

Glad you got it sorted x

thanks...not quite there yet though x

Yeah insurance is mad. I was looking to go on my mums to learn to drive, somehow sharing a policy ended up costing £200 MORE than having my own.
I know its obvious why so many are un insured, but it really is worth it, without the correct insurance you could possibly lose everything, and do you want to be "proper"?
I'm sure you put a lot of time, effort and money into your education so why let it go to waste by going uninsured? Xoxo

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. I have every intention of being 'proper' its just so frustrating that so many obstacles are put in your way. Baggybear my insurance company quoted for class 3 and that is what was going to send the premiums through the roof......it was explained to me that it was to do with collecting money as in doorstep selling....but i would be going to a pre arranged appointment, not just driving around knocking doors touting for business. I looked into it a bit more and class 1 where you are going from your place of work (my home) to another place of work (pre-arranged with customer) would be sufficient? x

Thanks for your replies. I have every intention of being 'proper' its just so frustrating that so many obstacles are put in your way. Baggybear my insurance company quoted for class 3 and that is what was going to send the premiums through the roof......it was explained to me that it was to do with collecting money as in doorstep selling....but i would be going to a pre arranged appointment, not just driving around knocking doors touting for business. I looked into it a bit more and class 1 where you are going from your place of work (my home) to another place of work (pre-arranged with customer) would be sufficient? x

I think these insurance company's should be a bit more straight forward to make everyone's life easier. Maybe contact your public liability providers and ask their recommendations for car insurance?
If they are reasonably priced they will know a reasonably priced car insurer too. I hope you find somewhere reasonable soon so you can get going and start trading ASAP, but don't let this get you down, its all worth it in the end xoxo

If you read the thread I linked too you would have find explanations of what each business class actually covers.

There are 3 different types of business use on cars.
Class 1: covers you for traveling to different places of work or collecting stock from cash & carry.
Class 2: covers you for the above plus giving colleagues/customers litfs to & from different places of work.
Class 3: covers you for all the above plus touting for business (sign writing would be included in this cover), delivering products to customers & collecting money from customers.

It is important to note that class 3 is the only type of policy that would cover sign written cars & collecting money.

You need business class 3 as you are mobile and therfore going to different places of work not the same place every day, the places you go to might be in very high risk areas and you will be carrying money which makes you a target for theft (in the underwriters eyes).

Oops, I have read it now....I was reading and trying to watch jezza kyle at the same time :o
Very informative, and will take note when I come to renew car insurance next month...it didn't even occur to me to advertise on my car but as I shall be insured for it I might go ahead and do this too xx

Just to update...have got house insurance sorted...after calling and dealing with just about every insurance company in the UK...I had an epiphany and called my bank...sorted!! not quite a business policy, but I explained that I had professional insurance with BABTAC already and that it wouldnt be that many clients per month in my home as i'm mobile and have no intention of changing anytime soon I can get cover for an extra few pounds than i'm paying just now!! oh happy days :green: will be chatting to them about car insurance too xx

Just to update...have got house insurance sorted...after calling and dealing with just about every insurance company in the UK...I had an epiphany and called my bank...sorted!! not quite a business policy, but I explained that I had professional insurance with BABTAC already and that it wouldnt be that many clients per month in my home as i'm mobile and have no intention of changing anytime soon I can get cover for an extra few pounds than i'm paying just now!! oh happy days :green: will be chatting to them about car insurance too xx

Yey!!! Glad things are fallin into place now xoxo

Me too...this whole thing has been so stressfull, I thought it would have been easy to deal with. But I can understand why people don't inform insurance companies regarding these kind of things.....I was about ready to give up :|

Me too...this whole thing has been so stressfull, I thought it would have been easy to deal with. But I can understand why people don't inform insurance companies regarding these kind of things.....I was about ready to give up :|

Don't! Please don't! You've got this far, it would be a waste to give up now xoxo

Latest posts

Back