Insurance help needed with tint reaction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate1982

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Firstly let me say this is not about me.
Hi everyone. Need some help.
A friends client has had a reaction to tint. However my friend didn't do a patch test. Will her insurance still cover her?
Has anyone had this situation before?
Thanks for your advice.

From what I understand, probably not.
She's in the S***.

It's VERY unlikely an insurance company will cover them if they didn't follow manufacturers instructions sorry :/

I can't imagine her insurance will cover her. Many policies state a direct requirement to patch test. Even those that don't will have a clause about following manufacturers instructions. I have yet to see tint instructions that don't require a patch test, so should a claim arise, it sounds like she is on her own. On another note, she is extremely lucky not to have caused a serious reaction in her client. No excuse for not patch testing, the client's safety comes first.

From our point of view, we ask for all tints to be patch tested before and we say you must follow manufacturers instructions as well. Anyone who failed to follow these terms and conditions would definitely not have a claim paid by our insurers.

Your poor friend is all I can say!
Lesson learnt the hard way?

It may not come to being sued. How bad was the reaction?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Pretty bad. I feel awful for her. She is always so good at patch testing and she just slipped up this once. She's terrified. X

Pretty bad. I feel awful for her. She is always so good at patch testing and she just slipped up this once. She's terrified. X

She may be ok. It all depends if the client wants to take it further, she may not. (Not helped along with no win no fee everywhere though). Solicitors usually give half hours free advice i would recommend your friend calls a local one and asks for some advice.

Hi everyone. Firstly let me say this is not about me.
Hi everyone. Need some help.
A friends client has had a reaction to tint. However my friend didn't do a patch test. Will her insurance still cover her?
Has anyone had this situation before?
Thanks for your advice.

In a word no, she didn't follow best practice and manufacturers instructions.

Thanks guys. Really makes you think.
I heard someone say about patch testing every single time now too!!!!!
She is talking about doing a runner now from the salon where she rents but I know the owner where would this leave the owner?

Get the client in and see how bad it is and get a feel for what this lady wants to do. Do not run away!!!!

She has no legs to stand on with her insurer or in a court so she might as well be honest with the lady and tell her the situation.

Stay calm and once the situation has been discussed ie the lady knows her insurance is invalid and she has no money to pay out should it go to court, see if she can be 'soothed' by offering her a range of treatments - Nails, feet, facial - whatever treatments she does ... offer to her.

Good luck xx

I am afraid not, please keep us updated xx

I know someone who won a claim based on the fact she was skin tested 24hours before not 48hours before.

You must follow manufacturers instructions to the letter as the above shows!

Most insurance will say follow manufacturers instructions.

Courts can not take what you haven't got. It's all about damage limitation. I agree with Jacquelineanna. Your friend must never run away from this situation. She will have to be truthful and explain that her insurance is not valid due to her error and she has nothing personally. Your friends may be better off coming to an agreement with the client to pay for some kind of treatments to heal her head, I think this may be more beneficial than a few free hair treatments.

Thanks guys. Really makes you think.
I heard someone say about patch testing every single time now too!!!!!
She is talking about doing a runner now from the salon where she rents but I know the owner where would this leave the owner?

I'm not sure if your taking beauty or hair but to skin test everytime is standard.

Most manufacturers instructions state 48hours before every application. It's been like that for some time.

Any update?
Did the client even mention suing her? Or is she just scared. Most people don't actually sue so I agree it may not come to that.

Thanks everyone. My friend is really worried. I really do feel for her.
Yes the client has said she might sue but nothing yet.
She really wants to speak to the client properly and admit she screwed up. But she is worried it could do more damage.
This clients head is a right mess from the colour and not that it matters but the reaction Apparantly didn't occur until 3 days after the service so it's poss that even with a patch test it wouldn't have shown.
The only thing I keep thinking is 'thank god it's not me'.
I am super in the ball with patch testing and do is my friend.
That's the really frustrating thing about it she just doesn't understand how she could have possibly forgotten to ask if she has had a patch test!!!
But this has really made me think.
What is your procedure with patch testing.
Ie. we make a note of it on the computer that we have done it but I was thinking they don't sign anything to confirm it??

Omg - poor thing, she must be So worried, it just goes to show how important patch testing is, both beauty & hair ...
But no point running as it would make the situation much worse as it will catch up with her, she needs to contact her insurance even if they won't cover her ... they may support her with any legal advice she needs.
X

Thanks everyone. My friend is really worried. I really do feel for her.
Yes the client has said she might sue but nothing yet.
She really wants to speak to the client properly and admit she screwed up. But she is worried it could do more damage.
This clients head is a right mess from the colour and not that it matters but the reaction Apparantly didn't occur until 3 days after the service so it's poss that even with a patch test it wouldn't have shown.
The only thing I keep thinking is 'thank god it's not me'.
I am super in the ball with patch testing and do is my friend.
That's the really frustrating thing about it she just doesn't understand how she could have possibly forgotten to ask if she has had a patch test!!!
But this has really made me think.
What is your procedure with patch testing.
Ie. we make a note of it on the computer that we have done it but I was thinking they don't sign anything to confirm it??

I think that conflicts with data protection. You can record it on a computer but I'm sure they can't sign anything.

Things are so challenging lol!

Latest posts

Back