Interview - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne1989

Reaction score
Help me! I've got an interview for Eastern Arts and I don't know whether to wear my tunic or not? Or maybe just something smart?
Also what questions do I ask? I've never had an interview for a job in a salon before so this is all new to me. It's for a receptionist role with chances to progress

Thanks

Any information that will help me with this would be greatly appreciated

Help me! I've got an interview for Eastern Arts and I don't know whether to wear my tunic or not? Or maybe just something smart?
Also what questions do I ask? I've never had an interview for a job in a salon before so this is all new to me. It's for a receptionist role with chances to progress

Thanks

Are you a therapist?? I'd wear your tunic uniform to show how professional you look. And they will imagine you fitting in and working there. Obviously full makeup but dont over do it. Hair up out of your face and eyes. Write down questions.... How many holidays will. Get per year, what is the rate f pay, are their progression opportunities, how msny hours will you be working and what hours.
And think of the typical questions they will ask you... I think that's more important as you don't want y be sitting thinking of something to say... You want to answer with a quick confident response. Good firm hand shake when you walk in and when you walk out, compliment them on their salon... Research the salon. The area and say 'well I know you have been going for 5 years blah blah blah I hear great reports etc... Also when you are talking maintain eye contact. Don't look away whilst talking. Appear confident! Be yourself

I'm qualified at level 2 at the moment but studying for level 3. I'm applying for the receptionist job and she said on the phone there are opportunities to progress. It's just that some people tell me to go in my tunic and others tell me not to so it's confusing me now.thats why I thought I'd ask on here as there are alot of therapists on here.

So do you still think I should wear my tunic even though its only for the receptionist job?

I think it's only you that can decide that. I think it depends on what they will ask u to wear of you got the job. Is there a receptionist there just now? Go not a few salons and research... Pick up a pricelist just and see what the receptionists are wearing. To give you a Bette idea

Some great points from nicolahayley couldn't have said it better myself.

But just to confuse you more I would wear smart trouser smart top smart jacket.
I always ask them what they want me to wear, if they say a tunic I'll wear a tunic. If they say whatever I think is appropriate for an interview I'll wear interview clothes.

As it's a receptionist job and you won't be doing a trades test that's what makes me think just dress smart. But again up to you.

Laura xx

You could always wear a tunic and give the impression that you are going to/from college. I would expect a therapist to come wearing a tunic for an interview, and everyone I have interviewed has worn salon work clothes. It may be a little different as you are going for a receptionists job, but I would like my receptionist in salon clothes, especially if they were doing the odd treatment.

Although your appearance will be judged, don't panic too much. I would not be swayed to offer you the job or not offer you the job based on what you are wearing, as long as some of the guidelines suggested here apply.

Good luck x

Yeah, see I was going to wear my tunic but everyone was giving me different opinions. I think I'll just wear my tunic, it's better to try too much than not enough right? I just want to go in and look as professional as possible.
Anyone else got any other questions that would help me out?

Thankyou for helping me out by the way, life savers!

Joanne xx

When I interview someone I always like it if they ask about opportunities for personal development, how they can expect to get feedback on their performance and how they will get to know what's expected of them both long and short term.
Good luck!

Thank you all so much. I'm waiting outside the salon now, 25 minutes early, EEK!

Thanks again :) xx

Good luck..
Early s good!!!!!

Good luck hun!

I used to work in HR so interviewed people all the time. My advice would be don't worry to much about answering questions quickly, take a moment to think about your answer and if you need more time to think of your response that's no problem. You definitely need the strong handshake I always remember if it's limp and doesn't leave a good impression. Also ask about the others you are working with, shows an interest and that you are there to support the team.

Let us know how you get on

Meira Xx

Latest posts

Back