Ion colour?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColourBoy

Reaction score
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone has a good understanding of Ion colours? I know they're obviously not the best on the market, but being an apprentice that does a few friends hair out of work, it definitely works out cheaper for me to buy *** 100ml tubes then *** 100 ml tubes!

So basically I'm just looking for information about the range, do there bases cover 100% grey? or is their double bases too? do they have mix tones? blonding creams? how many levels of lift have the high lifts got, and just what are other people's opinions and results with them.

Thanks! í ½í¸Š

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh... and what's the colour coding system? I know 1 being ash and 3 being gold are pretty universal but what about the rest?

Or if not, any other cheap brands you can recommend. Sorry for the spam!

I know this is an old thread, but recent discussions about budget lines made me think of this. I use a little of the demi for gray coverage. Sometimes the double neutral for resistant gray. I'm kinda scrared of the blondes and the red, and the highlift, but was wondering if anyone had any feedback or experience to share?

So far i find the demi quite dark. Maybe a shade or so darker. I used the 6 rc once one myself and it went mahogany.

I used the highlift once and it was surprisingly not that bad. I told my relative it would pull brassy as highlifts do on a base 5. The end result you could still detect brass, but it threw enough ash to not detract too much. The developers surpise me. I'm picky about devlopers and I found them nice. Not the best, but I've definitely used runnier and messier.

In general, I'm not a Sally's fan. But it's like McDonald's, sometimes it really hits the spot. I haven't used the line enough, but in general I can't really say it's awful or anything like that.

I like the developers too. Not a Sallys fan by a long stretch of the imagination. Seems to me like ion tries pretty hard to mimic wella kp in some ways. I'm curiose about some of the 7-10 demis. May have to do a little strand testing.

I wonder if the 9nb is pretty?

I wish I knew Wella like you, Cams, and others here. I only know Wella developers and those I easily fell in love with. I'm very curious about Ion's demis, too. (I'm going through a demi phase where I find myself wanting to test new and/or going back to Goldwell Colorance.)

(My stance with Sally's is always mixed. On one hand I wish they'd kept up with the times such as an Ulta as both are open to everyone. On the other, I wish they had more of a professional selection and didn't cater to the DIY crowd. Wella Color Charm and those Youtube videos with volume 20. Ugh.)

But I truly can't complain too much as I have a creme lightener from them I want to test (anti age range) and also in future Ion demis. I simply wish they evolved more with the times.

I used them a few times find their regular bases useless I used a 5 on my sister with 3% and it was translucent so I always use the intense bases like the 5.0 6.0 7.0 especially if they have grey , I would also recommend weighing the colour because the measurements on the tube are abit off one time I used up to the half a tube mark of 5.0 and the same of 5.62 the first time was fine but the second time when I used the other half and I found it didn't cover aswell because it wasn't a true half like the tube said so It ment I was using too much developer , I also find there quite warm I used a 8.1 on a natural base 6 it turned out like a 8.3 and I've used the 5.0 on a natural base 7 and it was a slightly warm 5 ,Iv never used the highlifts but might have to give them a go , they do have a lightening booster 000 which boosts lift by one level and they have some mix colours like red , blue , yellow and violet

Oh, i have a tube of the cream lightener you are talking about! i wanted to see how it stood up to blondor cream, but i haven't tried it yet.

I use the base mixed with their version of wellas /7 tone on a client whos is 50% white. I use the demi and get great coverage and very little fade, so i like it for that.

I found their double neutrals quite dark even on resistant hair.

I think my wella knowledge isn't on par with cams!

The lightening cream in ion is a ammonia booster to help the colours lift an extra level but the Wella blondor cream is a bleach so there completely different

Oh, i have a tube of the cream lightener you are talking about! i wanted to see how it stood up to blondor cream, but i haven't tried it yet.

I use the base mixed with their version of wellas /7 tone on a client whos is 50% white. I use the demi and get great coverage and very little fade, so i like it for that.

I found their double neutrals quite dark even on resistant hair.

I think my wella knowledge isn't on par with cams!

Don't make me blush it definitely is

The lightening cream in ion is a ammonia booster to help the colours lift an extra level but the Wella blondor cream is a bleach so there completely different

I was talking about a lightening cream from Sally's here in the US. It's not by ION. It's by Sally's house brand called Age Beautiful or something like that xx. It's a lightening cream that looks a lot like Joico's cream, but I haven't tested it yet.

I was talking about a lightening cream from Sally's here in the US. It's not by ION. It's by Sally's house brand called Age Beautiful or something like that xx. It's a lightening cream that looks a lot like Joico's cream, but I haven't tested it yet.

I thought ion was there house brand?

Hmm more inclined to use it more if not. Isn't that terrible.

Latest posts

Back