Ion colour?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever the case may be i suspect that many brands are made in the same tubs in the same factory and then put into different tubes and packaging and sold under different names. Not saying Wella or Loreal, or Goldwell does this but some i believe do. I was atonished when redken shades eq became such a big deal in the us, as its exactly the same product as a discontinued line that was sold on Sally's back in the early 90s called colorations. I recognized the alcohol smell immediately..

cams: It's hard to find! I wouldn't have known unless I scrolled to the bottom. It's one problem I think really exists in the industry and that is transparency. It's hard for me to keep straight what is and what isn't a 'house' brand. Even their website doesn't truly state it. The small giveaway is basically only the trademark.

tsparker: I completely agree. It's slightly like the optical industry. With glasses you have Luxotica that dominates the eyewear industry. In hair we do have more of a larger scope than optical, but it's very similar. For example, L'oreal and Redken are under the same umbrella. L'Oreal Platinum and Redken Icing are the same product. They don't even bother using different packaging. Only different labels. (As if we wouldn't notice.) Their developers are in the same sort of plastic bags and very similar. Only different colors. And yes, I also feel others definitely do use the same original supplier. It's one reason I'm open to trying new lines. Especially if I love their developers. I'll have to smell Shades when I drop by a friend's salon that uses it. It's been a while since used. Btw, I'm testing Ion 10 NA demi on my colleague/friend. (Part of me wants to use it with Pastel, but I won't. At least for now.)

Last edited:
Oh I'm so glad. I'm really curious about 10 NA. I'm afaird that the ash is green so I've never used it, but the swatch looks nice. I think the 10 volume developer is nice. Seems very gentle. Please, please post pics. I really want to see the result!

I toned my own hair with 10 v from the permanent line with 10 volume. It didn't do squat. I'm also curious abou 9nb and 9gb. I think they'd be similar to eq. Maybe with a little of the clear.

I've used their anti oxy. It works i guess, but leaves a nasty feeling to the hair. No comparison to wella there.

Last edited:
Fast pic as she's walking and not in best lighting.
IMG_7544.jpg

I had to chase her down as I forgot to snap one. 10 NA Ion demi. (She wanted no heat, thus air drying and frizz per her hair: dense course hair. Has 3 week root re-growth and I touched up only side part and hair line as has a function this week. Comes in every 6-7 weeks and touch ups with Silk Lift. She's also taking major growth supplements and minerals for growth. It's working. Major growth. Base 5.)

I was surprised with this demi. It didn't throw as dark as the swatch. I was actually hoping for more of a green as you stated. More of something. With darker natural bases that I lift, I like a bit of an ashy grip as it helps disguise grow out. If you want a bright clean demi in the 10 range, it's lovely. It's bright. My phone pic is throwing lots of odd colors. Probably because she's walking. It's all actually very light and bright. I always add a smidge of 9 to my 10's and I should have done that with this. I was surprised by the shine. I will state, I find the shine a bit better than Dialight. If I can find a combo with the 9 and 10 mixed, I think it would be nice. For my darker bases, the combo needs more ash without a grey effect. Loving the shine. Even as I saw her hair frizz.

I really like it!

And L'anza Healing Trauma Treatment leave-in is fabulous for those that frizz when air dry. Cuts down the frizz so much. Still frizzy, just not a brillo pad

I want to try some Lanza. I'll put that on the list. Thanks for sharing the pic!

You are welcome. It's much brighter than I had hoped!

You are welcome. It's much brighter than I had hoped!

It's exactly what i want. Going to bleach my hair after my haircut on Thursday and then use the 10NA to tone. You might like the 9 nb better..

satchel, do you still feel the same way about olaplex. I remember you saying you weren't a fan?

10 NA is a basic, bright baby blonde and perfect for summer. I'm looking forward to testing Ion 9NA mixed with the 10NA. Probably a 3:1 ratio. I hope it works for you! I was surprised as I wasn't expecting that hint of shine. It's not massive, but it was nice.

It's not that I'm not an Olaplex fan. I'm not simply into it as much as everyone else. I don't feel every client has massively broken disulfide bonds. I work with two camps of clients: those that fry the living daylights out of their hair on a weekly basis and that that don't and only wash their hair once a week. Those that are breaking down the bonds with a flat iron and hair dryer several days a week, Olaplaex is great for them. I've found those that do not wash their hair often and never use heat, Olaplex has a slightly drying effect so I don't use it on them. And I have the less is more mantra. Especially for on scalp, if I even use it, I only use a few drops and don't up the developer. They have amazing customer service and I love the passion behind the product. At the end of the day, not every client has massively butchered bonds and not all of them need this treatment.

My Tom Cruise jumping on Oprah's couch moment will be when someone comes up with a product that keeps lightener from drying out before 50 minutes.

I see your point exactly.

I was lazy. I did the bleach out with blondor cream 9% and olaplex. Yeah i do that to myself, wouldn't to a client. I had a fair bit of red build up. It came up a slightly stained level 10. So i didn't feel like making a trip to Sally's so since i stock illumina, i used 9/60 pastel and antioxi for five minutes. Ultra light silvery white blonde. When this fade and my roots grow in I'll try 10 na.

Many of my clients are very kind to their hair. But most of them have long, long hair. So for them, olaplex really adds strength.

Latest posts

Back