Irrelevant interview questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaomiP

Reaction score
Hi geeks,
Wasn't sure where to post this!

As some of you may know last week I had an interview in a hair&beauty salon for an apprentice hairdresser role.

At the time I did think some of the questions were a bit odd and irrelevant but kind of just went with it as I really wanted the job (find out this weekend if I've got it or not) once I got home and told some of my family members about these questions they didn't seem happy.

I've been stewing over it and thought I'd ask you all if these are normal questions to ask cuz I'm struggling to see the relevance..

Some of the questions were

•Are your parents still together?
•Who do you live with?
•What do your parents do for a living?
•Do you have any siblings? How old are they?
•Are you in a relationship? What's his name? (She wanted surname too) What does he do?
•Has anyone in your family been in trouble with the police?
•Do you have any friends?

And there were a few more which I have forgotten. Please tell me if these are normal, it just seems a bit nosy and more like a police interrogation than an interview!

Thanks x

Definitely not normal!
These questions may indicate the type of person they have had in there before tho!

Good luck x

100% inappropriate! Very odd they need that much information! I guess you'd answer the questions to not be rude but I have no idea why they'd ask you those questions? It has no relevance to if u can do the job or not! Odd!

When I did my apprenticeship almost 20 years ago with a very high end salon in my area these sort of questions where asked. However nowadays no way should they be allowed to ask this.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

100% inappropriate! Very odd they need that much information! I guess you'd answer the questions to not be rude but I have no idea why they'd ask you those questions? It has no relevance to if u can do the job or not! Odd!

That's exactly what I was thinking, how would my family be relevant to me, I'm the one that wants the job not them lol. And even if my whole family was locked up and I had no friends there's no way I'd announce it in an interview. Thank you all for your replies xx

We ask those sort of questions because when overwhelmed with applicants we want to find the trouble free, stable people who won't have family dramas dominating their lives.

It's normal in a lot of jobs to have a criminal record check, and certainly not illegal to ask if you have a criminal record. You will be around cash and stock, so need to convince an employer that you are trustworthy, and don't have people close to you who would pressure you to steal.
Nothing sinister, just them trying to find out if they can put you in a position of trust.

We ask those sort of questions because when overwhelmed with applicants we want to find the trouble free, stable people who won't have family dramas dominating their lives.

It's normal in a lot of jobs to have a criminal record check, and certainly not illegal to ask if you have a criminal record. You will be around cash and stock, so need to convince an employer that you are trustworthy, and don't have people close to you who would pressure you to steal.
Nothing sinister, just them trying to find out if they can put you in a position of trust.

Agreed with this.

An apprenticeship can be hard going at times and isn't necessarily well paid.

When I interview I am looking at the following...

If this person feels like work is just 'too hard' and she goes home having a little moan, are her parents/guardians the types of people who understand that working life is sometimes like that or will they be on the phone to me complaining, or encouraging her to leave?

Is she in a relationship? If so, for how long? Is her boyfriend a layabout or someone who works for a living?

With people under 18 I will often ask, "what's your favourite club to go to in town? Do you go there every Saturday or do you and your friends go to other clubs you can tell me about?" The answer I am looking for is this ... "My mum doesn't let me go to town on my own yet as I'm not old enough, but sometimes we go to X local pub together, and she did let me go out with my older sister last month for our cousins 21st".

If I don't feel like my apprentice will be supported at home, or worse, that the apprentices family will be the type to work against me, I usually won't take the apprentice on.

I wouldn't ask any of the above questions. You can tell an awful lot about someone just keeping to the relevant questions, what they wish to achieve, exam results, body language, the way they present themselves, the way they speak, and as the interviewer using your own attention to detail etc.

Proof is always in the pudding... I don't know how you could determine if someone would make a good apprentice by asking them if their parents are still together, or what time do they go to bed or do they have a criminal record, or have they been caught stealing who would tell the truth on that one! Even the nicest of people get caught stealing! If the parents wish to make a complaint against the salon owner for questions that are age related, or to do with siblings, children, race, culture...they can do... and I'm quite sure this list is not exhaustive.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'd say they asked for your boyfriends full name to look him up on a social media site, they've most probably looked you up too. If your settings aren't private then they can have a good old noses about and get a real insight into you, we often don't think of the consequences of posting publicly online. I don't think those questions are appropriate and certainly wouldn't be so intrusive whilst interviewing however, had I had had that information before employing previous staff members it would of saved me a heck of a lot of hassle. Good luck with the job though, keep us updated! X

This is shocking and cant be right at all, that's your personal business and nothing to do with you as an employee

I would be truly horrified and not sure if I would want to work for someone like that to be honest, to judge someone because their parents are together or not is disgusting

and like you said you wouldn't admit to having locked up family, etc anyway

Ok asking if you have a criminal record yes that's fine but asking if your parents are still together that is wrong on so many levels, example your parents could be died, you might be in foster care, you may have never known one of your parents, does this meen you can't do the job I think not :'(

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

With people under 18 I will often ask, "what's your favourite club to go to in town? Do you go there every Saturday or do you and your friends go to other clubs you can tell me about?" The answer I am looking for is this ... "My mum doesn't let me go to town on my own yet as I'm not old enough, but sometimes we go to X local pub together, and she did let me go out with my older sister last month for our cousins 21st".

In all honesty I think a lot of 18 or under people might say they go clubbing even if they don't because they want to be seen as being "normal". I hated the idea of clubbing at that age but probably wouldn't have told anyone that. I'd have probably felt awkward and made something up as my answer thinking that I needed to imply that I wasn't a bit of a loner lol.

Anyway my point is that whilst the reasons for these questions might be strategy based, a lot of people might choose not to answer them accurately anyway.

Some of them are fine, some not. I'm a debt collector for a mortgage company and on my interview I had a criminal record check and so did my immediate family and boyfriend, we all also had to have credit checks. It's to prevent fraud etc. also on my interview I was asked random questions like what animal I wanted to be! Lol :) xx

I would be seeking legal advise on this for sure if it was me

The Recession has become an employers paradise giving them pick of the litter when it comes to employees with over 100 applicants going after 1 job and they seem to be loving the fact they can take advantage of candidates and pretty much make them walk over hot coals to get a job, hence why I will never work for one again and be self employed from now on

I wouldn't ask any of the above questions. You can tell an awful lot about someone just keeping to the relevant questions, what they wish to achieve, exam results, body language, the way they present themselves, the way they speak, and as the interviewer using your own attention to detail etc.

Proof is always in the pudding... I don't know how you could determine if someone would make a good apprentice by asking them if their parents are still together, or what time do they go to bed or do they have a criminal record, or have they been caught stealing who would tell the truth on that one! Even the nicest of people get caught stealing! If the parents wish to make a complaint against the salon owner for questions that are age related, or to do with siblings, children, race, culture...they can do... and I'm quite sure this list is not exhaustive.
I shall tell my hubby that his extended CRB check his employers insisted on was 'illegal' then!!
I also feel you should complain to your MP that most companies ask intrusive questions at interview. Your kids teacher shouldn't have to explain why she works as a lap dancer in the evenings as she wishes eh?

You might want to consider that a quick google search of your name may well point them to SG, and this thread.

If you feel that this potential employer shouldn't ask the questions that they did, then you can always turn down the job. You DO have a choice if you don't want to work for someone.

I shall tell my hubby that his extended CRB check his employers insisted on was 'illegal' then!!
I also feel you should complain to your MP that most companies ask intrusive questions at interview. Your kids teacher shouldn't have to explain why she works as a lap dancer in the evenings as she wishes eh?

CRB checks are a legal requirement in some industries but they do not come from the interviewer. The interviewer will only state a CRB will be required.

Generally the only time out of hours becomes an issue is when you bring the company into disrepute. Generally for fighting or doing something that brings unwanted attention to the company, or slander. ..I even have this stated in my contacts for my staff but then I also insist they do not work outside of my hours unless agreed. It depends what the teachers contract states If you wish to narrow it down to that point.

It probably depends on how professional you wish to be seen as at interview. .. and what risks you are willing to take.... ignorance is not bliss when it come to running a business and knowing what the requirements are. In all my years I have never witnessed interviews with questions of this nature, nor have I ever asked those questions, but clearly i'm probably one in a million.

Some of them are fine, some not. I'm a debt collector for a mortgage company and on my interview I had a criminal record check and so did my immediate family and boyfriend, we all also had to have credit checks. It's to prevent fraud etc. also on my interview I was asked random questions like what animal I wanted to be! Lol :) xx

Both of those checks go with your job as standard. There is nothing wrong with asking someone what animal they want to be although personally I wouldn't waste my time asking. .I couldn't care less. I'm sure there is some form of meaning behind why you would ask that question though!! For my other companies I issue aptitude tests - now they are interesting! !! Probably a waste of time in a hairdressers although the maths one would be suitable for purpose but will probably frighten employees.

Both of those checks go with your job as standard. There is nothing wrong with asking someone what animal they want to be although personally I wouldn't waste my time asking. .I couldn't care less. I'm sure there is some form of meaning behind why you would ask that question though!! For my other companies I issue aptitude tests - now they are interesting! !! Probably a waste of time in a hairdressers although the maths one would be suitable for purpose but will probably frighten employees.

Is that meant to read as horribly offensive as I've read it?:evil:
Maybe you didn't mean to just insult all the hairdressers on here, who knows? But I can assure you that we can all add up ok, and some of us are actually able to read a balance sheet.

Is that meant to read as horribly offensive as I've read it?:evil:
Maybe you didn't mean to just insult all the hairdressers on here, who knows? But I can assure you that we can all add up ok, and some of us are actually able to read a balance sheet.

What exactly are you offended with? it's your perception that's all. Apologies if you feel that I have offended you..there was no harm meant nor was it personal. I have no emotional attachment to any of these posts nor will I post a comment worrying about what everyone is going to think. To clarify my point on the aptitude part - I wouldn't see the point in giving a full English test when practically nothing would be written apart from contact details and the like, a maths test may be more appropriate for the cash side...but my thoughts tell me that salons don't issue these tests so potential younger employees may be a little worried/frightened by them - office based they are generally standard. I wouldn't expect my younger staff to be able to read a balance sheet or P/L or Management accounts....just the same as I couldn't cut hair!

Latest posts

Back