Is a website essential?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BronzeBeauties

Reaction score
Hi
I have been running my own beauty business from home for the last 3 years. I have a steady flow of regular clients. Both my children are at school and I have more time available. I could easily work all day and evenings also so I need more clients. I have a Facebook page which I post to a few times every day, Instagram also. Do you think that this is enough? I don't really want to own a website as I feel this is another thing I have to update with photos etc. Just looking for people's opinions as if you think it is worthwhile I will look at building one. Also any website building sites you can recommend?
Thank you x

I think so. I find it frustrating as a client not being able to find out all information.
Most people don't even have a price list on their FB! A website is much more professional and clear and you can go into much more detail.
I'm not sure of good website building sites but please be sure to have someone who has good written English check it through afterwards for you for any mistakes. Even those who write well will miss things and you need another set of eyes looking over it. X

Hiya,

A website is 100% worthwhile if it's done properly and professionally.
A website should bring you in more clients. Who wouldn't want that? :) It's an investment into your marketing strategy.

The internet is the first place people look for any service locally nowadays. If you aren't on the first page of google you are missing out on so much work it's unbelievable.

We have done websites for a lot of geeks on here and I'm pretty sure every single one has produced a positive return on investment.

I think a website is important these days for a business.
It definitely generates new clients. I can put a lot more info on my website about treatments, benefits, about me, my location etc
I also have a Facebook page so when I post on FB I always include the website address. There are noticeably more hits on it when I do this.
I used Wordpress to set up mine and linked it to my own .co.uk web address .

Start simply, it will take time to get all the basic stuff uploaded first. Then build pages as you add services.
Friends are useful for giving you feedback!

Yes it is essential, clients will be put off if you don't have one. I only used to update mine about once every 2 or 3 years, you don't have to spend lots of time on it. What I would do is put all your static information there (opening times, price list, treatment list, how to book, background info on all treatments, simple Q&As, directions if you're putting your address, type of payments accepted and some nice photos of your treatment room) then put in an embedded link to your Instagram so there are always new photos. I think 1and1 is straight forward, also Jimdo is quite reasonable.

Hi
I have been running my own beauty business from home for the last 3 years. I have a steady flow of regular clients. Both my children are at school and I have more time available. I could easily work all day and evenings also so I need more clients. I have a Facebook page which I post to a few times every day, Instagram also. Do you think that this is enough? I don't really want to own a website as I feel this is another thing I have to update with photos etc. Just looking for people's opinions as if you think it is worthwhile I will look at building one. Also any website building sites you can recommend?
Thank you x

These days the web is massive a business without a website is missing out on clients. You don't have to update your website regulay as long as you're not taking payments or ecommerce. just a simple nicely made 4 page website telling customers who you are, what you do (treatments) - maybe prices, and contact details.

best wishes,
Mel

Your initial question has been pretty much answered but I'd like to add:

Having a website is a fantastic way to present yourself as a professional on the internet. However, don't feel that you need a vastly complicated site in order to promote yourself well. Often a simple, well designed homepage, a contact page, a news page (more on that shortly) and an area to display your prices is all that's needed.

What you should focus on is getting content out there as much as possible. What do I mean by content? By hosting a news page or a blog, you have the opportunity to put simple reviews up on products you use, to talk about yourself and your salon and to provide links to relevant pages or news articles. All of this content will be provide you with the perfect opportunity to talk about 'beauty in Sidcup'. The more that it's referenced, the more that Google is likely to rate it higher and the more likely it is that someone will find you just by searching for local beauticians.

I've worked with clients to create web pages and online shops and where they cannot afford to hire a professional to design a website, I've often pointed out that there are plenty of cheaper alternatives on the internet.

Take a look at www.squarespace.com - they offer cost-effective ways to host a site, along with automatic mobile-optimised website templates.

This is key - I recently ran a very small local campaign, using Google Adwords. Of the reach of 43,000 odd people, nearly half was through a smartphone or tablet. So, make sure whatever you put out there looks good on a smartphone.

I would also recommend the following (if you're not already doing so):

Twitter - update regularly and run some simple promotions. Make sure you hashtag your local town, along with tweeting any local twitter accounts, such as local tweetup groups. You can also link your twitter to Facebook, which helps reduce your workload a bit.

Google Maps - make sure your business is listed on Google Maps, including opening times, contact details etc. This will also allow you to link to your website.

Any business sites, such as yelp, yell, etc - make sure you put up your details and link back to Facebook, Twitter, Website, etc.

Promoted Pages - you may not instantly bring in more business by promoting your pages but a couple of quid a day can help you get your name out there more... It's about planting the seed as much as possible in the hopes that they subconsciously remember your name when they're next going to that formal event and need amazing makeup.

Local business partnership - have a look at your local market... Guaranteed there will be some natural beauty products there somewhere. You could try and partner with them to stock them in return for an advert on their stall explaining that customers can have their products expertly applied by Bronze Beauties, Sidcup... A simple link to your page and you're potentially getting more hits.

I hope this helps... I realise I've gone on a bit of a tangent... Feel free to contact me for more specific website information - I'd be glad to help.

Latest posts

Back