Is it possible to teach and run a business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charl12dance

Reaction score
I went self employed last may. I kept a part time job going for extra money while I got up and running. with the hope that one day I would gain enough clients to give up my part time job. As my business grew I hoped that a couple of years down the line I would be busy enough to open my own salon.

Now I've been lucky enough to get beauty lecturer job and Im very grateful for the opportunity. It's 18 hours a week so I'm planning on carrying on with treatments along side my teaching.

I am wondering if anyone has managed to do this? And maybe even have a salon? I know that it would be a lot of work but I don't want to totally give up on my dream.

once Ive done this first year ile have more of an idea of what my workload is like from college, but if anyone else has tried this or still doing this I would love some feedback.

One of my tutors worked at the school and owned a salon. It's definitely possible.

My lecturer at college ran a very successful business and was a great tutor. I plan to do the same I have had my salon 4 years and starting my cert ed in dec! Good luck to you!!

That's great, thanks for both your comments ladies

My lecturer at college ran a very successful business and was a great tutor. I plan to do the same I have had my salon 4 years and starting my cert ed in dec! Good luck to you!!

I'm glad someone is thinking the same thing as me and wanting to be both!
I don't want to give up the practical side of the job for the teaching, I really like the idea of doing both. I just completed my teacher training this summer, good luck with yours!

When I had my (very small) shop I ran it as both a working salon and a private college at the same time. It's all about time management and taking the effort to build a great support team. I was a therapist, teacher, principal and NVQ assessor all at once - busy but very rewarding.

Good luck x

When I had my (very small) shop I ran it as both a working salon and a private college at the same time. It's all about time management and taking the effort to build a great support team. I was a therapist, teacher, principal and NVQ assessor all at once - busy but very rewarding.

Good luck x

Thanks for your reply. So you ran it all under one roof then? I can imagine that would be slightly easier as it would be a case of changing your role from therapist to tutor as and when needed. I can understand it would be about time management. Did you find it manageable? Were there times when it got to much?

My tutor ran a home salon plus private 1 to 1 courses in her salon also taught at college an hour away from her home

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back