Is it possible to wax facial hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanmichael.l

Reaction score
Hey geeks :)
I'm a guy popping over from the nail geek..
I hope it's okay to ask because I know nothing about waxing but I'm wanting to know if it's possible to wax facial hair as in beard stubble.. It may be a silly question I don't know?

I've tried searching but haven't been able to come up with an answer from someone who is actually a "pro" I know there are some types of facial waxing but it's usually for different types of hair such as the very fine pretty much invisible hairs that women, as well as men are covered with everywhere and that women have their upper lip waxed but then again it's completely different to coarse stubble type hair. Basically for me to get any type of smooth close shave with a razor in less than 24 hours I'll have shadow/prickleyness, and in the next day or 2 I'll have really bad irritation/razor burn. An electric shaver solves the irritation but but it isn't close enough to not have the shadow.. So if there's anything I can do that would last longer than a day would be fab!

I'm just wanting to know is this type of waxing even possible? I'm really good with any type of pain, so that's not much of an issue, I have actually tried using an epilator on this area and while it did manage to pull out a patch of hair, it shredded and took the skin beneath with it.

And if so where can I go and what do I look out for/ask for etc?

Thanks for any help, appreciate it :)
X

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure that you can. I'm sure that many years ago, I saw a Perron Rigot demo removing male facial hair, as in stubble, but I'm sure more experienced waxing geeks can help.

I would think it's a treatment that you could only have on occasion as you'd need regrowth, so it would be more like a one off/special occasion.

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

I hope it's okay to ask because I know nothing about waxing but I'm wanting to know if it's possible to wax facial hair as in beard stubble.. It may be a silly question I don't know?

I've tried searching but haven't been able to come up with an answer from someone who is actually a "pro" I know there are some types of facial waxing but it's usually for different types of hair such as the very fine pretty much invisible hairs that women, as well as men are covered with everywhere and that women have their upper lip waxed but then again it's completely different to coarse stubble type hair. Basically for me to get any type of smooth close shave with a razor in less than 24 hours I'll have shadow/prickleyness, and in the next day or 2 I'll have really bad irritation/razor burn. An electric shaver solves the irritation but but it isn't close enough to not have the shadow.. So if there's anything I can do that would last longer than a day would be fab!

I'm just wanting to know is this type of waxing even possible? I'm really good with any type of pain, so that's not much of an issue, I have actually tried using an epilator on this area and while it did manage to pull out a patch of hair, it shredded and took the skin beneath with it.

X

Ive wondered about this myself before but with my very sensitive skin I mentioned in my shaving thread, waxing would be out of the question for me. However, Im sure Ive seen somewhere that threading can be done full face but not sure if it is female skin only.

hey!

I have just read through your post and you can wax off stubble. I suffer from hirsutism, which is make pattern hair growth in women. I've been waxing for several years now, I think I'm up to year 9 now with it. It hurts a lot because the hairs are deeper than usual (what would normally be on a woman).

In conjunction to waxing I have recently started using laser hair removal. I find that I am able to space out longer between waxes now (instead of fortnightly, it is now monthly) and it will be getting more spaced as progression with the laser starts.

There is several options available, but this is the one I have found works best for me. For example, if I'm going out, quick shave and done, if not, wait between waxes, and failing that, I have laser to reduce the growth and the the thickness of the hairs that are growing.

It is possible to wax beards (I have done my boyfriend's once) but it is very painful and if it is a network beard it is actually a contraindication as the hairs are so interlocked and deep under the skin that it can actually tear and damage the skin underneath.

I waxed my boyfriend's face once and it took about 3 hours - because the hair was so tough but also he was not coping very well lol. (Keep in mind that it was his idea to wax the beard!) Every piece I ripped off he would yell and carry on and get off the bed to make sure he wasn't bleeding because he thought he could feel blood running down his face! The only time he did actually bleed was on the upper lip and it actually swelled up too, so his lip was a bit puffy for a couple of hours and his face was very red. It looked weird for him to not have any shadow or stubble for a while after!

It is possible, but please proceed with caution and make sure you go to someone experienced :)

I get lots of requests from guys to wax their beards and I don't do it...the hair in this area is tough, coarse and deep rooted.

Generally it will be very painful, the area can bleed a lot and there could be a risk of scarring. Plus the regrowth could be patchy. For these reasons I don't offer this service. My facial waxing for guys includes the usual brows nostrils and ears.
I also wax the cheeks ( just above the beard line to tidy up any random hairs) .

Hi, I think it would be a long and painful process have you thought about electrolysis? You can continue to shave/wax but also have electrolysis it's a progressive permanent hair removal you just have to find someone experienced in treating males. Hope that helps :)

Sent from my C6603 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would recommend looking into IPL treatment (Intense Pulse Light) Its similar to laser but more comfortable to have and quicker to be done. You would need at least 6-8 treatments but you can shave in between appointments.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes it is possible , I have a client that has a goatee, and mustache, he comes to me every 2 to 3 weeks , he's been waxing his facial hair for fifteen years, he tried to do this on his own by using duck tape, and then finally started getting it professionally done, it was very challenging at first, because I had never waxed a man's face before, he said every time he shaved he broke out to much, I've been doing his face for almost a year now, and I've gotten quicker at it now the first time took forever! Only because I was so nervous, but he was just fine [emoji3]

i would recommend electrolysis since it has worked very well on me. i would of course consult a professional electrologist to make sure they are comfortable doing male facial hair. my process was every 2 to 3 months for the 1st year, then 3 to 4, etc. now i haven't needed a touch up in the last year, so i'm very happy with my results. there are other methods as mentioned above, just wanted to share that this has worked for me.

X
Hi!
I think this depends on the person you're waxing. Generally speaking, men obviously tend to have much coarser hair than women. If you're comfortable waxing men, go for it. But please (for your own protection) let him know that it WILL be painful and there is a chance that he can scar and wear those gloves...cause there is gonna be blood! Maybe even do a test spot, and work your way from the outside in. Maybe he can use a lidocaine/numbing cream on his face before the service. And don't forget ibuprofen! And...good luck! ;)

Latest posts

Back