Is it too late?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haylo_Therapies

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Totally random question to all you wonderful musicians;

Is it ever to late to learn to play a musical instrument??

I am 22 and LOVE music. Anything with a guitar or violin! I am going to buy a guitar and try and get some lessons. Some people have told me I am too late and need to learn at a young age...What are your thoughts?

Would really love to know....

Hayley xx

Well, first of all, I'm not really qualified to answer this as I have no innate talent!

However, I started saxophone lessons when I was twice your age, kept them up for 12 years and LOVED it.

I never expected to become really good, and I didn't. I knew it would be challenging, and it was.

Go for it....xx

My brother is 28 and he's just started to learn to play the guitar and actually, i've got to admit, he's getting quite good. Having said that he's obsessed and even plays it down the phone to me but it just goes to show that if you enjoy it enough you will learn.

Go for it, what have you got to lose :biggrin:

go for it!! my brother in law has been doing guitar lessons for a year now and hes 32! I think if you are determined then you can do it!! i want to learn, but havent found a left handed instructor! I played flute and piano from a child to 17yrs, but dont think i could even read music now!! would have to re-learn!
good luck, and just go for it, whats the worst that could happen?! xxx

Go for it :D. Guitar is a great instrument to learn and pretty easy, particularly if you learn chords so you don't need to read music hehe.

My grandad taught me to play his guitar when I was 10 and I did it for 2 years before teenage stuff took over...but to this day I can still pick up a guitar and play a few tunes no problem xxx

Thank you for all your replies. It's great to get all your thoughts and views.

I just adore music. Just the thought of picking up a guitar and singing your heart out (well for me shouting as I can't sing) just seems so relaxing.

Heck, why not...If I get good I may even join the thousands and post a video on YouTube (if I can work out how) ;) xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Go for it :D. Guitar is a great instrument to learn and pretty easy, particularly if you learn chords so you don't need to read music hehe.

My grandad taught me to play his guitar when I was 10 and I did it for 2 years before teenage stuff took over...but to this day I can still pick up a guitar and play a few tunes no problem xxx

That's lovely your grandad taught you. What kind of stuff do you like to play? x

It's never too late to learn!! I teach private music lessons part time as one of my other jobs and I have many adult pupils. My current success story is a 44 year old gentlemen who loves music but hadn't played before, and he ha really done well, and after learning for 18 months is about to sit his grade 5!

It's never too late to learn!! I teach private music lessons part time as one of my other jobs and I have many adult pupils. My current success story is a 44 year old gentlemen who loves music but hadn't played before, and he ha really done well, and after learning for 18 months is about to sit his grade 5!

Oh wow! What is it he plays? What do you teach? That's very impressive.

Take a look at this guy what he teaches is great http://www.justinguitar.com/

Sent from my GT-I8160 using SalonGeek

Great! That's for that. I am going to have a look around his site. Do you play yourself??

I think if you are learning for your own enjoyment its never to late!

Go for it ,iv always wanted to play guitar ,my uncle was an amazing guitar player ,he played with the Beatles when he we 15 supported them in Germany ,but sadly he died when I was about 8 ,so even if you won't learn as much or as quick its for you have fun :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Hello everyone. Totally random question to all you wonderful musicians;

Is it ever to late to learn to play a musical instrument??

I am 22 and LOVE music. Anything with a guitar or violin! I am going to buy a guitar and try and get some lessons. Some people have told me I am too late and need to learn at a young age...What are your thoughts?

Would really love to know....

Hayley xx

I'm thirty years older than you and would like to buy another guitar (don't currently own one :sad:) and learn to play purely for my own pleasure if nothing else - I have stacks of guitar mags taking up space in my flat! Some people think I'm crazy to be studying for a Mathematics Degree at my age, but its something I enjoy :)

By the way, you might be interested in Martin Duffy's recent thread

http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/193729-something-cheer-up-wet-windy-sunday.html

Have you looked at the you tube tutorials?
We bought our 10 year old son a cheapo keyboard last Xmas as he had never shown an interest in them before and I expected him to maybe bang out 3 blind mice if we were lucky. However, 3 days after Xmas I'm lying in bed and could hear a beautiful rendition of greensleeves floating up the stairs. I presumed it was my son watching the tutorial on you tube and went downstairs and was astounded to see it was my son actually playing the whole song (both hands, chords the lot!)

He has continued to watch you tube tutorials and has now taught himself Mozart, modern songs (Adele etc) and even amazing grace that makes me cry lol.

We did buy him a better keyboard once we discovered this hidden talent but I guess what I'm trying to say is enthusiasm will get you everywhere and you don't have to spend an arm and a leg either as there is a wealth of information on the net.

Go for it! Xxxx

Thank you Waxing model, I just watched the video; How amazing does he sound playing the violin, oh how I would love to be able to do the :-( Well why don't you buy a guitar then? when you say "another" guitar....did you used to play??

Waffle4, that is lovely! You must be so proud of him teaching himself like that? I struggle learning by myself, I always learn better if someone is there with me guiding me and teaching me. I am definitely going to have a look on YouTube though.

Thanks again guys :hug:

Thank you Waxing model, I just watched the video; How amazing does he sound playing the violin, oh how I would love to be able to do the :-( Well why don't you buy a guitar then? when you say "another" guitar....did you used to play??

Yeah, I've spent some hours with guitars starting back in the seventies as a teenager with my first guitar, a Columbus Les Paul copy, just teaching myself from guitar books - I still have a copy of Burt Weedon's Play in a Day book :) And I will buy another guitar when my finances improve, or perhaps I should make my own instrument like the 'lead guitarist' in the Congolese band Staff Benda Bilili who plays a one-string electric he built out of a tin can!

http://open.spotify.com/album/1DDvPtrcgjYwhtsREhaLaf

Happy playing x

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back