Is it worth spray tanning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geekyem

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Ive been trained in spray tanning for a while now and have all the equipment. Just wondering if its worth setting up at home as a small business, is it worth it? Do you make much money from it and is there much demand? How many clients on average would you say you get per week?just want to see if its worth it. Thanks in advance

It would depend where you live but I think the general consensus is that it's hard to make a full time living from doing spray tans alone. If you have the space for it, it can work well alongside other treatments (beauty therapists, nail techs, lash techs, hairdressers etc), or even as just a part time business if that's all you're looking for. During the summer months I find it a good little earner, especially in prom season. A word of advice though, offer a professional service, insist on patch tests for all new clients and don't undersell yourself! If you offer really cheap tans you'll only attract bargain hunters who will always hunt out the cheapest rather than the best - and you won't make much profit! X

I have a part time job so would just be a little extra for me, I’m also trained in eyelash extensions so could offer those also but with a young family I thought tanning would be easier and less time consuming. What spray tan brands do you find people prefer?

Eyelash extensions are definitely popular and would also be good to offer as well :).

Try out lots of samples of spray tans to see which you prefer, there's lots of great ones out there. I've been using Crazy Angel for years. It always works well and is reasonably priced. I wouldn't bother with the 6% as it's very light, but 9% and 13% are nice and I've had good results from their Express tan. Crazy Angel is a more golden tan, but I wouldn't say it's orange (although I find Siena X too orange).

Moroccan Tan is nice and they also have a violet toned range. You can rinse them off after an hour or so, but it's quite expensive.

I bought a new machine recently from LA Tanning and got free solution from them - 14% Cocktail - we've been happy with that too. It's also a more golden tan but they also do a darker range. It's also very reasonably priced.

Have a look at previous threads on here for opinions on other brands as well x

I wouldn't be able to stand the mess from overspray and the smell in my house I'm afraid- so this is why I don't offer it!

I wouldn't be able to stand the mess from overspray and the smell in my house I'm afraid- so this is why I don't offer it!
True, overspray in particular is a real problem! If you have space for a dedicated room for tanning that's definitely a big plus!

I’ll keep that in mind as I don’t want an orange kitchen lol, thanks for all your advice and I will give crazy angel a go x

Latest posts

Back