Is location everything?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jujojones

Reaction score
Im totally torn and needd some honest advice from you all!

I've have the choice of two shops to rent. One is central but rent is higher , no parking and will need a hefty amount to refurb it, good foot flow. And some nice shops around it (including a few salons) not very close to train. /bus services.

other is a ten minutes walk/2 min drive from the same centre, by a bus stop massively lower rent, wouldn't cost as much to refurb, parking outside but the row of shops is less attractive, but no other salons except a barbers??

Do you think foot flow is more important than parking?

I could charge less to the clients as the rent is much lower ??
Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using SalonGeek mobile app,

I would say parking, and lots of smaller houses around gives you the best chance.

Thanks! The less expensive one in amongst houses, hence why its much cheaper, next to an late shop, barbers; takeaway and grocery store. More expensive one surrounded only by shops ??

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'd go for the second one, not only because it's cheaper but parking/bus stop is a big bonus, also there's no competitors too close to you and it's esier to see you when there's not too many shops around. You'll have to advertise to get clients anyway so they will find you no probs :)

Sent from my GT-S7500 using SalonGeek mobile app

I always look for parking. Most people come to the hairdressers as a special journey, as opposed to 'oh look there's a hair salon, let's walk in'.

Thanks for the feedback guys, just confirming my thoughts!

Parking is a must!!i was in same position as you and I chose a building rather than ashop that is off of the high street completely and tucked away. I have a car park where the shops on the high street there is little parking but it's the best decision I have ever made.

I'm in a private position,the building has character, the rent and rates are less....I've only been open about 7 weeks and business is good....and I haven't even advertised yet apart from Facebook, word of mouth and an a board that I put on the pavement outside. Clients love how private it is, love that they can come with No make up on and no one sees them!!!

If you want it to work you will, doesn't matter where you are, as long as you market yourself right to let people know you are there and offer what they want at prices they can afford you can't go wrong. Don't assume as your rent is lower in the other place that you have yo offer lower prices , people will travel badge if you are slightly higher you can always do offers when you are quiet. As for the work that needs doing it will always cost you more than you think. I thought I only needed to paint mine but I ended up plastering, rep inning the ceiling and skimming it, needed electrician as half lights didn't work, had to have heating engineer out as heating was temperamental , the cost just kept going up until I had to open and will have to finish some of the work another time.....it looks finished to everyone else!!

Good luck whichever you choose.

Parking is a must!!
Entirely agree! My lash girl didn't have any - I had to find a spot at nearby roads (all houses off road parking, always no spaces) and then walk bloody miles to her salon in cold and rain. Ugh! :mad:

Sent from my GT-S7500 using SalonGeek mobile app

Parking is a must!!i was in same position as you and I chose a building rather than ashop that is off of the high street completely and tucked away. I have a car park where the shops on the high street there is little parking but it's the best decision I have ever made.

I'm in a private position,the building has character, the rent and rates are less....I've only been open about 7 weeks and business is good....and I haven't even advertised yet apart from Facebook, word of mouth and an a board that I put on the pavement outside. Clients love how private it is, love that they can come with No make up on and no one sees them!!!

If you want it to work you will, doesn't matter where you are, as long as you market yourself right to let people know you are there and offer what they want at prices they can afford you can't go wrong. Don't assume as your rent is lower in the other place that you have yo offer lower prices , people will travel badge if you are slightly higher you can always do offers when you are quiet. As for the work that needs doing it will always cost you more than you think. I thought I only needed to paint mine but I ended up plastering, rep inning the ceiling and skimming it, needed electrician as half lights didn't work, had to have heating engineer out as heating was temperamental , the cost just kept going up until I had to open and will have to finish some of the work another time.....it looks finished to everyone else!!

Good luck whichever you choose.

Thanks for your advice!! Really useful!! Thankfully the cheaper building is as I would lay it out ; so no huge changes just decoration and water supply (we also run a heating an vent company thankfully so could have water coming everywhere if we needed lol) but the other building is a place I used to work and would need a lot of reconfiguring to make the rooms bigger and bring it up to date! (Not been touched in 20 odd years hence why its no longer there lol) .

.. I'm also worried about it being next to a takeaway??

I'm I being over critical?
I do know the area well as I grew up there, not the most affluent but I wouldn't be charging footballers prices!

I have also been dilemma-ing about this too, as I am now about to take over a beauty salon in a residential area, but was worried it was a very quiet area, as not in the middle of the town, however luckily it has parking directly outside which is good. My salon is also right next to a chicken takeaway!! So Im hoping that this doesnt have an effect as well! Best of luck :)

I have also been dilemma-ing about this too, as I am now about to take over a beauty salon in a residential area, but was worried it was a very quiet area, as not in the middle of the town, however luckily it has parking directly outside which is good. My salon is also right next to a chicken takeaway!! So Im hoping that this doesnt have an effect as well! Best of luck :)

I just know personally I'm lazy; I like to drive an I'm always in a rush so I like somewhere I can pull up an park by ... Glad I'm not the only lazy one lol :p

I would also say go for the second one. Look at the positives of it being next to a take away and grocery store. Those 2 places alone will attract a lot of customers who will see you there. The fact that its residential (although maybe quiet) you are very very close to the residents there who may come in and even recommend you to their friends and family. Also you said there is parking outside where as the other place doesn't. I guess it depends on who your target market is really.

Have you listed pros and cons of each? I find that usually helps me decide a lot of things.

Good luck with whichever you choose and do keep us updated on your progress :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek mobile app

We're completely off the beaten track, in a village that only has a butcher, and down a little side road. There are cows outside our window!

The advantages are parking, tranquility, beautiful surroundings, space, affordability.

The disadvantages are absolutely pitch black at night - need new lighting - lots of people STILL don't know we're there, constant advertising, no passing trade at all except the occasional dog walker who knocks to book a treatment!

I would never set up in a town centre - there is too much competition and it isn't the experience I want to sell. Our USP is our barn and surroundings, and we have a lot of people travelling form the other side of the local town that is 5 miles away, to come to us. Sadly a lot of people still go to a fairly rubbish salon in the town as they think that's all there is!

Good luck - and whatever your advertising budget is, double it lol

Vicki x

Parking all the way , I hate walking to places and will drive much further if it ment I had easy parking outside the place :)

Latest posts

Back