Is the internet affecting your business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emma.g-e

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you would be willing to share your thoughts about how the internet is affecting Britain's beauty businesses? It's part of some research I'm doing for a feature which will be going in the next issue of BABTAC's magazine, Vitality.

I've noticed there have recently been lots of reports, many on these forums, of beauty therapists who are becoming increasingly frustrated that people can now get their hands on professional products for cheaper prices than salons can offer. What's perhaps more worrying is that some sites seem to be offering beauty supplies without doing checks on a person's qualifications, meaning that they can end up in the hands of untrained individuals.

I was just wondering if any of you had ever had any experience with any of these issues? If so, would you be willing to share your story with us? I'd be happy to keep all your personal information confidential if you'd prefer.

For the avoidance of doubt I am the owner of a distribution company...
When I started as a beauty therapist I looked for a skincare range which specifically wasn't available online because I wanted to protect my revenue.
Now that I'm the distributor of that same range I make it quite clear to our trade customers that it will never be available on discount sites, auction sites or on the high street for the same reason. They are all, without exception, delighted with this policy!
Consumers very often misdiagnose their skin type and condition. If they buy the wrong product for their skin it does the brand no end of damage. If they buy the product from an authorised salon with a trained therapist who can advise which is the correct product there is a level of confidence there that they're getting the correct product, and arguably more important, it's a genuine product, not a knock off.
As a result of our "no online" policy the internet has not affected either my salon business or our distribution business.

Hi Lynne, many thanks for your comments. It's great news to hear that there are some some brands out there are have strong policies about the internet that are protecting the beauty professionals' businesses and also trying to prevent clients purchasing products that won't work for them.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm actually a stockist of Lynnes skincare range. I used to stock Thalgo and found that clients could buy it a lot cheaper elsewhere. When I looked to switch it was one of the things that was important to me. So many stockists say they will only ever sell through therapists and suddenly it's in Boots - that happened with Thalgo as well for a while. If people get hold of Shellac or similar it certainly hasn't affected my business, but I think there's a lot of people who will suddenly do a bit of training and then they're out there - not insured and working on the public. I'm afraid that's life!!!

i have a home salon and i only stock and use products that are ONLY available to professionals. I now wont even buy sundries from companies who are letting the general public buy their products especially the ones that promote on sites such as groupon. Clients come to me not just for the products i use but the knowledge that i have from attending professional courses.

The internet is however helping my business through the use of sites such as facebook, gumtree where i can advertise to many for nothing. My website also draws in alot of trade so i think like everything the internet has pros and cons for us therapists/techs.

Thanks so much for your comments.

souz, it's an interesting point you bring up about the benefits of social networking. It's great to hear that there are some upsides to the internet boom!

Thanks so much for your comments.

souz, it's an interesting point you bring up about the benefits of social networking. It's great to hear that there are some upsides to the internet boom!

As i work from home myself as do many others we rely on the internet for networking as well as finding answers to qs that you cant ask a colleague(as we dont have one!). Also when im working back to back all day i can place orders etc online. (Downside of having home salon if client turns up half hour early in my lunch break i cant leave her standing on the door step! lunch has to wait!). As i said there are always pro and cons to everything and we all have different opinions as well....i for one would be lost without the internet!!

Latest posts

Back