Is this fair? Have I taken it the wrong way?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailbear85

Reaction score
So sorry if this isn't really allowed on here but I need to rant so badly. I started hairdressing apprenticeship at 16 but had to leave half way through for personal reasons and I took it back up again last year because it's always been passion and my First love, I'm coming to the end of my course now. Anyway, we have this particular tutor on a Thursday night who really is a nasty B, alot of the girls have had problems with her but she is always singling me out as clients and the girls have noticed and even my own mother has seen what she's like towards me. Last night, a client wanted a disconnected bob, she pretty much had it anyway and we agreed it was just a trim and tidy up and she wanted the front left long but made it clear she didn't want the sharp angle downwards (client is also a hairdresser) ...I'd cut her hair to her liking and then got the tutor over to check it through, she then starts hacking away at it and cuts all the front short and basically gives the client a restyle and the opposite of what she wanted!! Client left and I had to go through the service with the tutor who failed me on it because it was a restyle!! She then says to me in the most patronising tone have you done this cut before? Or has it been along time? I told her I did a cut like that on Wednesday and passed (we have a different tutor Wednesday evenings) she made me feel like I was completely stupid, like a child and most of all I feel like she purposely ruined that assessment. I messaged the client when I got home saying I felt I had to apologise because she didn't get the cut she wanted and she agreed about the tutor. Maybe I'm being silly or taken it the wrong way? She's really knocked my confidence.
Sent from my D2303 using SalonGeek mobile app

Have you spoken to this tutor? She may feel she's just pushing you harder than the others as she feels you can achieve more than them and do better work than you are doing?

Otherwise is there a lead tutor or have they got a line manager?
Explain the situation to them and say that clients and peers have commented on the bullying.
Ask if you could possibly go in on a different day when a different lecturer is there.

Hello, thank you for your reply :) I go in on the evenings but I also do extra hours during the day for more practise and to finish quicker. Myself and the girls have gone to the lead course manager but nothings is ever said or done and I'm now thinking of going to the principle. I have 6 assessments left (all of which I can easily get done in 2weeks at the most) again, I told my tutor last night my goal and she completely knocked me down for it. I'm a 30 year old women not one of her fresh out of school students, even then she shouldn't be talking to them like that.

Id be very clear and assertive, you shouldnt be treated like a child when you are not. At my college the mature students were treated differently because they knew we paid to be there and we didnt want to waste our time. Tutors anywhere can be out of order and downright disrespectful. Ive argued with tutors at sixth form, hair school and university if i dont like the way im being treated, some of them do take liberties. Tell her what you think! If no one higher up is gonna help you, then go to the principle if you need to and kick up a fuss! Just make sure you are very formal in your approach and not rude at all, being assertive really gets you places.
Last year I had a disagreement with a tutor at uni because she decided to single me out and have a go at me infront of the class trying to use me as an example and humiliate me, bearing in mind i was 22 then and a bit older than the others in my class. I walked out of my assessment and caused a fuss at uni, she backed down and apologised and has been nice ever since. Theres never any reason to be treated like that, as a child or an adult.

Look online for your college anti-bullying policy.
Print it off and wave it under the Principal's nose, if you have to.

Definitely make a formal complaint and an appointment to speak to the Principal telling them that other clients and students have noticed and commented on her unreasonable behaviour towards you.

Make it clear that you have tolerated it for long enough and given her a chance to improve but you are not prepared to accept it any more. Be firm and assertive as Faerififi recommends.

Make some notes prior to your meeting jotting down specific incidents/form of words she's used.

Ditto AcidPerm. There should be an appeals process that u can appeal assessment decisions if u think it was unfair. Def take it further. If u don't then she will just do it to someone else.
Keep a diary of all situ where she has singled u out. Maybe also get your hairdresser client as witness. Especially if she was happy with what u did before she had a go at it.
Whatever u do don't let it go. Stand up for yourself. Xxx

Ummm, I take a slightly different view.
I have been a 'mature student', and there were occasions when I felt I was treated unfairly
However, if I'm honest, it would make me MORE determined to 'prove them wrong'!
If a piece of written work was 'mocked' in any way, I'd re-do it....., BETTER.
If a nail application was deemed "not good enough", I'd practice until it was faultless.
Often, a tutor having a 'bad day', will take it out on the first student to cross their path, not right, but try not to let it get personal.
Chin up, take their comment's on board, and the next time you do that cut....knock their socks off! ;)

i would be extremely careful how you tread....I would document all cases you felt isolated/ mistreated and present it to relevant college parties (learning support,advice and guidance, inclusion teams e.t.c. )
Many times when adults within a college setting feel they are being 'picked' on it is not the case.For example when I studied Beauty ALL pupils were told phones are to be switched off due to the nature of treatments (this was not explained but implied ). Younger pupils obeyed but adults with children thought they could flout the rules. Uproar ensued and many older learners kicked up a fuss regarding this rule and quite frankly acted extremely immaturely, NO one stood up to the adults as we were 'friends' or told them what they were doing was damaging to learning. The jist of the story is be careful just because people especially people close say one thing about a situtation does not make it completely honest.

Saying this I would definately be going through the correct channels if you feel this to be an important issue.I would NOT be contacting clients in regards to tutors as news travels fast. Bad mouthing staff is a big no no, and although not your intent maybe perceived as such.

Figure out what you feel needs changing, what needs to be achieved and in what time frame? i.e Comments that are hurtful/ condescending maybe due to communication being poor, a meeting to rectify this set within the next week, with evidence of events.

Was the tutor present during the consultation? If not, did you make her aware of what the client had request before she began to evaluate your work?

The first rule in hairdressing that we are all taught is about the importance of the consultation process. Learning to listen to the client and clarifying exactly what their expectations for the service are.

The fact that the tutor picked up a pair of scissors and started to cut the clients hair without checking with either the client or the student seems slightly bizarre and definitely controlling behaviour, to my mind.

That act alone makes me seriously question her teaching ability and professionalism.

I done the consultation and then as always called the tutor over to tell her what myself and the client had agreed on, I shampooed the client brought her back over to my station and again asked her exactly how she wanted her hair cut and it was what we both agreed before shampooing, again I called the tutor over and told her what the client wanted and what she doesn't like etc and everything was fine. Tutor happy, I was happy and client was happy.

After I had done the cut to the clients liking, I called the tutor over who then said about blending it in etc and then proceeded to cut loads from the back and change the style completely.

The pic is what the client pretty much already had and wanted but with no sharp downwards angles

Attachments

• 1429956093008.jpg
    1429956093008.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 50
This is what she got, I just wish I took a pic of what I done before the tutor restyled it to this. The client wasn't happy when I messaged her after Because I felt the need to apologise.

Attachments

• 1429956252002.jpg
    1429956252002.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 49
O.K.....not as described....o_O
Not being privy to the consultation, and not knowing what the 'requirement' was to fulfil that particular assessment, it is hard to comment.
Models are just that.....they are there for YOU.
If you need to do a one length, inverted, disconnected....whatever, I would hope your 'model' would be 'up for it', as you need to put a 'tick' in that box!
Some training centres, IMO, are blurring the line between 'model', and 'paying client', by charging.......and charging toooo much for a service.
A 'paying client', should obviously, have her say in the final out come. (Although you are obviously there to advise).
A model however, should have been 'briefed' on what style/service you are needing to carry out that day, in order to be assessed.
Personally, I would not have contacted the model .
They should be made aware from the start, that it is a 'learning/training' exercise.
Tomorrow's another day! :)

Last edited:
They weren't models at my college, just normal paying clients. I think it's part of the 'income generation' requirement for most colleges now.

You had to do whatever the client wanted and hope you weren't waiting too long for a particular cut/colour to come along to complete your assessments. I went in additional days to complete my assessments quickly.

We have to get out own clients in for assessments, so nearly everyone who comes in we will know personally but obviously they still have to pay for their service (cut and blow dry £2.50) so pennies really.

They weren't models at my college, just normal paying clients. I think it's part of the 'income generation' requirement for most colleges now.

You had to do whatever the client wanted and hope you weren't waiting too long for a particular cut/colour to come along to complete your assessments. I went in additional days to complete my assessments quickly.

Umm, can see how it could help 'prepare' the student for the 'real world'......a paying client does have a higher expectation, so would behave as 'picky' as a salon client can (rightly) be.
However, I do think as students, to charge as much as they do, it compromises the whole 'learning from your mistakes' part of their journey.
I guess I'm just a tad 'old school':rolleyes:.

We have to get out own clients in for assessments, so nearly everyone who comes in we will know personally but obviously they still have to pay for their service (cut and blow dry £2.50) so pennies really.

I have a 'mature student', who finds it hard to get model's as the college she attends, IMO, charges too much.

Level 2
CBD £10.00 - £15.00
BD £8.00
COLOUR £10.00 - £25.00 + CUT

LEVEL 3
CBD £15.00 - £20.00
BD £10.00 - £15.00
COLOUR £15.00 - £30.00 + CUT
When you look around at professional salon's offering 'stand by', % off, complimentary coffee, wine, wifi etc..........
To ask 'Joe public' to come to the college, at a time that suits the trainee, not the 'model', not to be offered a mag/ipad/coffee, to have to wait for the tutor to check/adjust the cut......I can see how it is a less attractive option than the salon in the high street, and why models are 'thin on the ground'! :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back