KM Hair Extension Courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xMicax

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone ever been on the KM Hair extension course?

Im thinking of going on this course but just wondered if its one of the best??

Please help!!

I need to get myself trained so my new career can progress!!:rolleyes:

Thank you!!

Mica

Last edited:
I think there is a thread on here already about hair extension training courses and trainers if you do a search you will find it, there is plenty of information on there.

hth

I think there is a thread on here already about hair extension training courses and trainers if you do a search you will find it, there is plenty of information on there.

hth

Ok,

Thanks

Mica

Hi,

Has anyone ever been on the KM Hair extension course?

Im thinking of going on this course but just wondered if its one of the best??

Please help!!

I need to get myself trained so my new career can progress!!:rolleyes:

Thank you!!

Mica

Hi,

I recently did this course so can probably offer a bit advice. It is Habia certified so getting insurance isn't a problem (the insurance app form arrives with certification). The trainer was experienced and I felt the basic prep and application was taught well.

The downside is (if you are not already an NVQ stylist) is that the cutting and styling is barely given 5 mins and in not imo adequate (after all there is only so much you can get done between 10-4pm with a break for lunch).
I would advise if you can afford to go on a (habia cert) 2 day course preferably one that gives you the opportunity to work on a live model (the training heads don't really compare to a real person).

Secondly be prepared to upgrade your equipment if you want decent results, the course comes with a free kit but most of it very basic cheap stuff- the scissors and razor supplied are not good enough imo (look on ebay for £1.99 hairdressing scissors from china) I have probably spent about a further £200 on equipment (not inc hair) obviously this is a personal choice so would be up to you.

The hair used on this course and the suppliers recommended are not imo very good for much more than practice so you will need to do your own research.

I think most of these courses that are willing to take non hairdressers are probably much the same, it is not difficult to learn how to apply extensions of any method and I think once you have been trained properly in one glue and one non glue type you could probably self teach other options (i.e I don't see much difference between prebonded/shrinkies/microlinks method- I wouldn't pay a further £200 to learn) Although for a beginner I would recommend choosing pre bond and microlink combination of training.

I think the most important thing people don't realise when doing this type of training and I don't think the courses emphasise it enough is the amount of practise and research of your own you need to do. Now this may just be how I feel and it is possible that the other girls on the course went out the next day and charged someone £350 for extensions but this doesn't feel right to me.

The KM course recommends 20hrs practise which is a must (this is another hidden cost if you pay for the hair yourself as the training course only supplies enough hair to use on the day). I have spent a lot of time reading forums like this and watching youtube videos particularly the ones that show cutting and blending. You will also need to research aftercare as little advice is given on the best shampoos/products to use.

I hope this advice helps you and any other non hairdresser considering training, I think it is important that people are aware that it is not a quick, cheap new career and that you can expect spend a further £300-500 more that the cost of the course if you want to do it properly.

Latest posts

Back