Knock Out The Competition!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgloverfam

Reaction score
Hi Guys!
Here are some excerpts from an old Nailpro issue about building your business. I never throw away my nail magazines because I always refer back to them occasionally (unless the info is outdated, which you should check). I've added some of my own personal advice, and experiences to this as well. I hope this helps someone, Enjoy!

Nine Ways To Build Your Business

1. Be Proactive. At one time or another you'll probably lose clients to a NSS. Clients can be fickle, and there always will be people looking for a cheaper price no matter how good you are. Get over it! When you spend time focusing on the negative- a lost client- you lose sight of the positive- room in your appointment book for a new client. The key is to make sure you have clients waiting to slide into the open spot. Be proactive. Get out there and sell yourself and your skills even if you have a full book. You'll be surprised by how a little bit of hard work can pay off in the long run.

2. Educate Yourself. This can't be over emphasized. Just because you've graduated from beauty school doesn't mean you know everything there is to know about nails (I sure didn't!). Take extra classes in both TECHNIQUE and BUSINESS. Check your local colleges for business classes or teach yourself through books. Then, tell your clients about your education. Talk it up. They don't know how qualified you are unless you show and tell them.

3. Be Professional. Going to work clean, dressed appropriately and looking well groomed is common sense, right? You'd be surprised how many people I've worked with (and still do) in salons, who have been clueless when it comes to grooming. I once worked with a woman who came in looking like she just rolled out of bed, slippers and all! Impression counts, so make yours a good one.

4. Be Punctual. When our clients are chronically late, it's pretty annoying, but when WE are constantly starting appoinments late, it feels the same way to our clients. Always strive to start your appointments on time, and perfect your time/speed when doing your services. And be honest about how long it takes when you book appointments. I've been doing nails almost 7 years, and it still takes me 45 mins to do a french manicure.

5. Have A Positive Attitude. We've all had bad days, but let's face it, no one paying to have her nails done wants to hear how lousy your life is. Avoid ranting to your clients about problems in your personal life, and about how you hate the salon, the other techs, and your last client! Clients come to your salon to relax and be pampered. Smile, be positive, and concentrate on taking care of your client. After all, we have to listen the THEM rant! Aren't we ametuer psychologists? LOL!

6. Make Your Table Talk Work For You. You should be talking to your clients about your technique and the new products you're using. You should be upselling your services, and prescribing home care products/advice.

7. SANITIZE. Sanitation should not only be visible but OBVIOUS. This is an easy and necessary way to set yourself apart from your competition. Explain your sanitation procedures to your clients. Let them know how you santize table tops, pedicure tubs, and implements. If you're confident about your sanitation procedures, your clients will be too.

8. Create Atmosphere. Your atmosphere should be relaxed, and unhurried. The furniture should be comfy, and inviting. The music should be soft, or mellow, and the air clear of offensive odors. Do everything you can to make your clients comfortable. Something as simple as offering your client a cup of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate before their service is an inexpensive way to boost customer satisfaction.

9. Advertise. You don't have to buy a full page ad in the local newspaper to advertise your business. Get involved in local charities, donating products and gift certificates is a sure way to get noticed. Always carry business cards, and pass them out! And make sure your nails look immaculate at all times.

As far as competing with NSS, you shouldn't consider them yuor competition. It's like comparing a fast food place with a 5 star restaurant. Your nail salon (or mobile business) is like a fancy restaurant. Clients are willing to pay extra money for the privilege of being pampered.
*hugs*

Nice post Diya - I wll be printing this baby out... Thanks hun.. :hug:

Great post ... am feeling a little fragile this morning and reading this gives me inspiration once more :)

Jo xx

Given you a reputation point for that. Its a great post to share with us, and so very true

Following on from this, I have had two new customers this week who have made me pleased that I go the extra mile for people.

Customer one - very nice lady called to make an appointment. Before she arrived I set out my table as I always do, client consult form, client record card, brochure and dinkie cuticle oil. When she arrived and sat down, after the ususal hand sanitiser, I started to fill in the consultation - she said to me - dont bother wasting your cards as I am not likely to come back. I wondered how I could have upset her already - I very gingerly asked and she told me that she was emigrating to Australia next week LOL and wanted her nails done for her farewell party. I did explain that I treated all of my customers the same irrespective of whether they would be back or not. I have one lady who came for a set of nails for a wedding and said she would only have them for the wedding - that was a year ago and she still comes every two weeks. At the end of the treatment she did say that she would recommend me to her sister in law who was not going to Australia.

Customer two - very nice lady who wanted to book for a set of enhancements with nail art. When she arrived she said that she had had two very bad experiences - one of inappropriate drill use leaving very red raw nails and cuticles and the next place over time became very complacent and she said her nails ended up looking like they just had false nails stuck on the top - no blending in at the sidewalls or the cuticle. The poor customer was on the verge of giving up having nails as she had not been impressed with two places, but thankfully she decided to have one last go. I like to ask clients who have been elsewhere if they will tell me if I do anything different to others and to feel free to ask questions. First difference - no sanitiser, no cuticle work, thankfully no burning when I was filing, no certs on the wall or no visible insurance.

She commented on the fact I was very gentle, very clean and very professional.

We also discussed the part of the above thread about looking after the customers you have and making them feel like they are your only customer - this was how she felt and that she did not feel as if I was rushing her.

Sorry this is so long but I was chuffed to bits with this very valuable feedback.

I too feel we need to just do that little extra to keep our clients coming. i too have given a rep point for the original post as it has some excellent points, and definately ones we need to remind ourselves of from time to time.

Thanks for sharing them with us, i have copied and kept this as a reminder.

Thanks everybody for all of the positive feedback, and rep points. I really appreciate it! I am always glad to help whenever I can.
*hugs*

Latest posts

Back