Laser/IPL regulations?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isabellamae

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I currently offer LVL lashes and nails. I have been looking into laser/ipl hair removal/reduction but I'm really stuck with the nitty gritty!!

Can someone help with what regulations/licences etc I need to look into??

Obviously through training and insurance I will get an idea and a chance to ask some questions, but I just wanted to get ahead of the game and look into it more!

Thanks in advance xx

Pretty please?? Any knowledge I would be super grateful of xx

Probably best to speak to your council as well as where you would like to get your equipment from.... Each council have different requirements. Ours wanted loads!!! And it ended costing ££££ in just set up costs....
All out girls had to be nvq level 3, they wanted a Laser Protection Adviser, who does the risk assessment, then is also your point of call for the year... That was a big chunk of the cost! We had to upgrade our trading license...
There's loads to think about... Just depends on your location requirements...

Thank you for your reply!! Xx

I love lashes I have DM you I hope you don't mind?! Xx

I believe the requirements and regulations are changing at the end of the year (2016), someone who works with the VTCT told me that soon you'll need a level 4 qualification to carry out laser treatments like IPL (after you have already completed level 2 and 3) ...so a lot of people who already offer these treatments might need to up their qualifications soon or their insurance will become void, this is just what I have been told by the VTCT and I've also seen it on the internet, but I'd look into it further if you're interested in these treatments :)

Hi Isabellamae,

Firstly, the regulatory requirements will be dictated by your local authority. Inside the London area, these can be quite extensive. However, further afield the requirements are slightly less stringent and more based on regular health and safety in the workplace. The MHRA produce a good set of guidelines which are helpful, as most local authority regulations correspond with this anyways.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa..._data/file/474136/Laser_guidance_Oct_2015.pdf

As an official partner of VTCT, we keep up to date with their qualifications for laser/IPL. At present the L4 Q is not mandatory, however it is the intension of VTCT for local authorities to adopt this as a requirement over time.

As part of our service, we help you through all the technical regulatory stuff so that you know that you are operating a safe and legal business.

For more information, please visit our website.

Latest posts

Back