Laser treatments and skin cancer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinxie1992

Reaction score
Hiya,

I am in the process of doing my Laser qualification and I was wondering if anyone has any links to articles on the interaction of cosmetic grade lasers and skin cancer? I am aware that skin cancer, past or present, is a contra-indication to laser treatments and that it relates to the laser changing the cell? But I don't quite understand exactly how it changes the cells and how this interlinks with skin cancer. I'm just really curious about the topic!

do you want to know if lasers can cause cancer and how or are you looking at lasers as a treatment for skin cancer?

Thanks
Mel

Neither really, I'd just like an explained reason as to why cosmetic laser treatments (i.e hair removal/skin rejuvenation) should not be carried out on clients with a history of skin cancer.

Thanks!

I have also read the extensive listing of contraindications:

Pacemakers
Current OR previous skin cancer
Polycystic ovarian disease...

Some of them don't make much sense..but I am also interested. :)

Neither really, I'd just like an explained reason as to why cosmetic laser treatments (i.e hair removal/skin rejuvenation) should not be carried out on clients with a history of skin cancer.

Thanks!

oh ok, i'm not too sure in detail but all i know is that laser is a low level light therapy (LLLT) and when carrying out treatments with it, it can sometimes release cytokines or types of proteins which can effect the absorption rate of chemotherapy or cancer medications, having more of an affect or less of an affect on the person. Only a doctor or surgeon can use a laser on clients with skin cancer.

I think clients who have had skin cancer a couple of years a go and nothing since might be allowed laser treatments but only with permission from doctors.

You can't even use LED light therapy on anyone with skin cancer or any cancer tbh as it might have an reaction you wouldn't be able to monitor.

Hope this helps, might help direct your research in right place. Could be worth asking a doctor for a detailed explanation.

Thanks
Mel

Hiya,

I am in the process of doing my Laser qualification and I was wondering if anyone has any links to articles on the interaction of cosmetic grade lasers and skin cancer? I am aware that skin cancer, past or present, is a contra-indication to laser treatments and that it relates to the laser changing the cell? But I don't quite understand exactly how it changes the cells and how this interlinks with skin cancer. I'm just really curious about the topic!

It's not about the action of the treatment, like UV damage with tanning, it's about the thermal injury to the skin. If you google thermal injury or burns and skin cancer you should get some papers. I think it's quite a small risk.

Latest posts

Back