Law of employee's taking clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millie36

Reaction score
Hey guys wondering it you can help..

I've been trying to do some research for college on what rights do salon employees have to their clients if they were to leave the salon they were work at??
X

If employed, they can't. The goodwill ( clients ) belong to the salon, and the employee was paid to perform services.

If self employed, usually the clients are gained by, and belong to the individual therapist. Some contracts may stipulate otherwise, but in general, this is how it works.

A wise stylists will also back-up the guests contact and service history with a big chief tablet and #2 lead pencil at their station. They upgraded our salon software about 3 months ago and the software geniuses could not figure out how to migrate all the guest information prior to the moment of the hitting the enter button to upgrade the system.

Uh-Oh. I guess being old and old school might have paid off for me not only because I had all my info for my guests but because as a wise stylist I have been maintaining it also on my personal laptop including mailing addresses, color formula, cell phone numbers, e-mail, birthdays, etc, etc. That might be helpful if they ever upgrade the software again or if I move to another salon.

I have a professional FB page. All my guests are encouraged to friend me and like my page. If I ever change salons. I'd have to delete my former salon business card and replace it with my new one. Ooops, I guess they might now where I went and be able to follow me.

Have you been required to sign a non compete clause. I'm in the US and live in a right to work state so non compete clauses are very uncommon because they do not hold up in court. If you haven't signed a non-compete clause, you can market directly to those guests the first day at a new salon.

There are dozen of ways to promote yourself and the salon where you are at which is what the salon wants you to do to make money off you and they are grateful of that. Just think of ways to do that you can use to your advantage when you leave. No one is another persons property and they can spend their money where ever and with whom ever they want to. Give big brother a few more years however and that may not be true.

Laws are different in the uk. Theft of data belonging to your employer carries a prison sentence here.

. I guess being old and old school might have paid off for me not only because I had all my info for my guests but because as a wise stylist I have been maintaining it also on my personal laptop including mailing addresses, color formula, cell phone numbers, e-mail, birthdays, etc, etc.

Hi,

May I ask if you work on a self employed basis?

I appreciate that you're based in the US where your advice is probably a sensible precaution ( especially when relying on computer systems) but in the UK, a couple of criminal offences are committed if employed stylists copy client data for their own records (whether on a computer or written in a notebook).

As Persianista mentioned, it's classed as theft from the Salon and also breaches the Data Protection Act. It will be taken seriously and a prosecution is quite likely.

Latest posts

Back