Legal Advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millie36

Reaction score
I'm an employee at a salon where I have been for the past 6 years, right from the beginning of my hairdressing. I've got to the stage where I feel like I'm going no where, I put my all into the salon I'm at now but I feel it's holding me back. My boss isn't a hairdresser and it's a waste of time telling her good ways of making her business better, she doesn't understand how a salon should be run etc.. She's a lovely person but a nightmare of a boss..

I've been looking into opening my own salon. I know the law that I can't tell my clients I'm leaving. But we have a lady where I am now who is currently renting rooms upstairs for beauty. If I was to open a salon and she asked to move her business into my shop would there be any way that my old boss could sue me?

Did you sign a Contract with your boss when you commenced? Best to speak to a Solicitor first (you can get 1/2 hr free sessions with some)

hope everything goes ok

I've never signed a contract in the 6 years I've been there

I don't have legal knowledge but I would have thought that if you did not sign any Legal Binding Contract or make any Verbal Legal Binding Contract with your boss you should be ok to do your own thing and go it alone. BUT you would not be able to take lists of customers off computers or cards as these belong to the salon you are working at, so please take care.

best of luck, hope all goes well for you:)

Last edited:
I would speak to a lawyer it's a grey area.. But as an employee you should have had a legal contract within 8 weeks of beginning work... This states what's expected of you an holiday entitlement ect...
You can place advertisements saying you have moved.. But I don't know about telling your client!! I know a salon owner and one of her girls contacted all her clients to tell them she was moving and the owner won the case as the girl breached data protection and something else can't remember

I would speak to a lawyer it's a grey area.. But as an employee you should have had a legal contract within 8 weeks of beginning work... This states what's expected of you an holiday entitlement ect...
You can place advertisements saying you have moved.. But I don't know about telling your client!! I know a salon owner and one of her girls contacted all her clients to tell them she was moving and the owner won the case as the girl breached data protection and something else can't remember

good advice, best speak to a Solicitor first.

Thanks.. I know I can't take clients from the salon but I think I'll have to fine out if I'm breaking any laws to do with taking a staff member, someone renting out beauty room who is not employee.. I've asked my boss since the day I started and she never will do a contact grrr

If you haven't got a contract, and your clients want to follow you why shouldn't they? You should have had a contract at the start of employment, I think a lot of salon owners think their better off not giving employees a contract, but I would definitely say this is more in the employees favour! If she knows where your opening your own salon, who's to say she didn't approach you?

Latest posts

Back