Legal requirement questions for working at home.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feevis

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am currently doing my training with essential nails and also going to do practical courses as well when I am finished these courses, as I want to ensure that my extensions are the best they can possibly be. Seems silly training twice but with essential nails I have learned a lot and not rushed through 2 day training to learn everything, not suitable for me so id rather start with basics on essential nails and then move onto my 2-5 day training by which time I will be aware of health and safety etc.

So anyway, slightly off the subject there, Within the next year I want to start working from home, but only when ALL my training is complete and im fully insured. I've got a business name in mind which I know I will need to get copyrighted and i've been on the HMRC website regarding paying taxes and becoming self employed. Im also aware I need to keep receipts and spreadsheets for stuff etc so Im contemplating getting a notebook laptop just for this purpose alone also Im aware I need planning permission to run a business from home.

Apart from the above and keeping client consultation cards I have a room which has easy access and the bathroom is close by for the intentions of washing hands prior to service etc. Ive thought about ventilation and hygiene aswell and I am also aware of having labelled bottled etc, particularly for cleaning things so for barbicide ive bot the labelled jar etc,

Im wondering if there is anything else I need to put into place because I can only think of the things above. I was wondering if I need to have fire safety in place or any other things like that? (not that there is likely to be a fire, but just incase lol ) as I would imagine these things would be in place within a salon.

Ive just recently this year underwent a course at college in emergency first aid at work so im also a qualified/recognised first aider, I know I probably won't need this qualification but it's always handy to have in the event that a client falls unwell or whatever and again I think it is useful with regards to health and safety, particularly as I am planning on being self employed.

There is a lot of reading in my post but I really want to be extremely professional and ensure future clients they are in a safe, well planned out environment which meets all legal requirements. Although a year is a long time away, I want to plan everything just now, so that when the time comes Im confident Ive covered all aspects which need to be covered.

Thanks in advance to anybody who replies to this :cool:

The best thing to do is take a look at the HSE website. That hould outline all the regulations that you have to adhere to. Your local council should also be able to point you in the right direction.

The best thing to do is take a look at the HSE website. That hould outline all the regulations that you have to adhere to. Your local council should also be able to point you in the right direction.
Thanks, trying to build a checklist of things to do. A lot of people have home salons so hopefully they can provide some information aswell.

Never thought of the HSE website or asking council lol. Head is full of information lol. I will look these up though :)

I have a home salon and have recently had a health and safety inspection by the council.

They were interested in...

checking my insurance
what methods of sterilisation i used
whether i used new couch roll for each client!
my laundry
whether i kept client records
PAT testing of electrical equipment

You need to have a fire extinguisher in your room and a small first aid kit, plasters, bandage and savlon is the minimum.

Also I needed to purchase rubbish sacks from the council for my business waste or you can be fined for mixing with you household rubbish.

The first inspection you have is 'advisory' so is nothing to worry about and they will advise you what to do if a client has an accident on your premises.

And finally parking, i have 2 spare spaces on my drive so not an issue but they dont want you annoying your neighbours using up all the street parking.

HTH
AJ

I have a home salon and have recently had a health and safety inspection by the council.

They were interested in...

checking my insurance
what methods of sterilisation i used
whether i used new couch roll for each client!
my laundry
whether i kept client records
PAT testing of electrical equipment

You need to have a fire extinguisher in your room and a small first aid kit, plasters, bandage and savlon is the minimum.

Also I needed to purchase rubbish sacks from the council for my business waste or you can be fined for mixing with you household rubbish.

The first inspection you have is 'advisory' so is nothing to worry about and they will advise you what to do if a client has an accident on your premises.

And finally parking, i have 2 spare spaces on my drive so not an issue but they dont want you annoying your neighbours using up all the street parking.

HTH
AJ
Excellent advice, thanks :)

Excellent advice, thanks :)
Could I be cheeky/nosey and ask why they had to check your laundry?

Im aware I would need to have clean towels etc that are washed regularly etc, but I can't imagine why they would need to check your laundry??

Could I be cheeky/nosey and ask why they had to check your laundry?

Im aware I would need to have clean towels etc that are washed regularly etc, but I can't imagine why they would need to check your laundry??

I imagine it's more to do with how they are laundered ? I was told towels had to be washed higher than 60

Latest posts

Back