Level 11 colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamlea87

Reaction score
An educator for a colour brand once made the point to me that although a shade chart will typically go up to a level 10, there are lots of people with hair lighter than a 10.

Although it is generally agreed that you shouldn't lift hair to 'white' there is a space between a level 10 and say natural white/ unpigmented hair.

Most people say their is 'no such thing as a level 11'. But is there? :p

Thoughts please...

@cams97 im interested in your view.

I wonder, once you lift to white is that now the keratin gone too?

I still don't agree with calling it a level 11 however, i'd just consider it a 'dark ten' or a 'light ten'.

Just like having a 7 thats borderline 8 and a 7 thats borderline 6 and one thats smack bang in the middle.

Unless thats just the way i see depths?

I think you are right @cams97 , I'm not sure how case studies are in Wella, but in L'Oreal prelightened hair is written as 10+ e.g. 10+01.

I think you are right @cams97 , I'm not sure how case studies are in Wella, but in L'Oreal prelightened hair is written as 10+ e.g. 10+01.

So 10+01 would stand for prelightened with natural ash tone?

I think a 10 looks very different at every secondary tone so no there's no 11...

As for removing the keratin mags (stylist 911) said that's what I did to my client who's hair broke from that John frieda shampoo she's white :/

I wonder, once you lift to white is that now the keratin gone too?

I was on wella course yest and fergal the trainer told us that the reason we only lift to page yellow is cos that's the colour of keratin and so if you went even lighter you basically lift away the keratin...

Pale yellow that should be not page. Stupid auto correct

From what I know, keratin itself is not yellow (at least not noticeably) otherwise our fingernails would be yellow, as would natual white hair. Bleaching natural white hair can give a yellowish tone due to a type of oxidative damage to the keratin itself.

It's true that white hair from aging (so called grey) is somehow lighter than maximum lightened hair (via lightener). But I learned that it's just the tone that makes the difference not the depth.
So natural white hair has a neutral or ash tone and lightened hair has a tiny yellow tone to it.

I once had a client who I gave a virgin bleach out and when I rinsed she looked bald because the first centimetre was so light it looked like no hair...[emoji33] since she then comes in for her monthly retouches everything's fine though. But we both were shocked first.

1-10 always has been always will be x

Latest posts

Back