Level of pay - mcs technician

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northwest_MCS

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Girls

Appologies if this is a repeat question, but I have looked all through the forum and cant find an answer.

Ok so rather a sensitive question!!

Im a Head of Technical for a large Hairdressers near manchester (one of many in a chain of hairdresser). Im 24, have 6 years of experience ad have recently completed my Wella MCA and MCA (will be doing my MCE next year)

I am in the top 5 in our company for sales (out of 60 or so people) and continualy to increase my client list despite the recession.

My problem is i have had no pay rise in the last 3 years.

Does anybody have a clue as to what pay I should be on - i know it should be a lot more than I am on now, but id like an idea before I start having words.

To sum up I am

24 YO
6 years experience
Head of Technical and have done my MCA and MCS

I realise this is a sensitive question but any help would be gratefully received

Thankyou

There has been no wage inflation for about 3 or 4 years within the industry. I'm in London so have no idea about pay in other parts of the country. Your pay should be linked to your takings though, so the more money you earn for the company, the more you are paid.

Thanks for your reply

My takings have increased from 32000 three years ago to 66000 this year!

I know at £230 a week I am on minimum wage and this is not acceptable, but with the present climate (albeit our salon is actually getting busier) itis difficult to know what to do! :(

I do get commision, however the salon continues to raise the bar without raising salaries. I know have to reach a target of £1300 a week before i get commision which is 20% of anything over that (so my gross commision last year was very very little!!)

Generally a rule of thumb is that the gross pay should be roughly a third of takings. £1300 a week is a fairly low target (London prices) and should be easily acheivable. Can you increase your pay by retailing? selling conditioning treatments?

£1300 a week in our area is pretty good - this is an avarage. In busy peroids and with a full column I can take upto £1700

My total takings last year were in the top 3 in the company (of 60 of so technicians) so i'm no slouch :p

As for retail, we do not get ANY comision on selling products at all which I think is a pretty raw deal too :(

I think on that basis, you have grounds for asking for a pay rise.

What incentive do you have to sell? Its part of our existance, and no commission on it is crap. Smells like a raw deal. Id ask for a sit down, and point out your rate of pay vs. takings three years ago, and set it right beside your pay and takings for this year. Numbers dont lie, and if you make good service revenue, your pay should reflect that.

Do you work for a large corporation? That is what drove me to be self employed. the last year i worked, takings were 83,000 and pay was 31,000.:eek: bye bye employer.

Theres nothing we wouldnt do for productive, passionate employees, let me know if you come to canada lol.

Fancy London?

Latest posts

Back