Lifting colour and Olaplex

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janine1974

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the community but been in the industry 10+ years, 7 of which I've been working alone with a good regular mobile clientele. My client has previously tinted (box colours) of around a level 5-6 with warm tones throughout. She wants to go a shade lighter with highlights,the last time I did some strand tests her hair didn't cope well with the chemicals so I talked her out of it and we went for a root tint as I didn't want her hair breaking before my very eyes! Now, she seems certain she wants to go lighter and since the discovery of olaplex (which I am about to purchase for the first time!) I thought I would give it a go for her. So, I was thinking of doing a scattering of foils with bleach/pastel/olaplex to lift some of the existing colour then afterwards do a full root tint of a level 6 (she's probably realistically a 5 now) would you recommend I put a colour touch on the mid length/ends and the foiled areas or just comb through the root tint 6 or should I use a 6+ a tone (wella) say 6.3 or what would you recommend? I think she's after more caramel highlights...sorry if it's a bit vague I'm trying to explain the best I can! I just wondered what people's experiences were with using olaplex and what other professionals would do in this situation? (I'm v confident in cutting and blowing but always feel scared of trying new things with colour!) Thanks in advance xx

In that situation, I’d use a colour reducer to remove the build up of colour and take it from there.

In that situation, I’d use a colour reducer to remove the build up of colour and take it from there.
She doesn't want to go obviously lighter otherwise I would have suggested that to her, she wants more subtle which is why I want to scatter the foils.

Latest posts

Back