Lightening

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graciewaciee

Reaction score
Hiya,

I've got a friend who is wanting me to do a lightening/highlighting process on her hair. It's light ash brown at the moment and she is wanting it to go back to bleach blonde, ideally I don't want to do a full head of bleach as her hair is already a bit damaged. I was thinking packets/foils highlights and then matrix colour graphix in between. I'm unsure if this is the right method to go about doing it as Im not a massive fan of packets as they then to slip and bleed easier than foils.
Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Thanks! X

You know you're not supposed to use colour graphics for full head applications don't you?

What's the difference between packets and foils- different terms in Australia

Packets are just a plastic see through alternative to foil, it's helpful to see the colour developing.
The other stylists do so I figured this was just the correct way to do it? Great.

Must cost your salon a fortune to use it for full head applications! I was told on a course with Terry Longden last week... There's no harm in doing it, but they recommend not to. x

What's the difference between packets and foils- different terms in Australia

You might know them as meches? I assume thats what they are x

Yeh! Easy meche, or colour visage by matrix.

I don't think we have them I'm ausuralia... I've only ever seen blue strip things they look awful to work with!

I don't think we have them I'm ausuralia... I've only ever seen blue strip things they look awful to work with!

W have them here. Easy mech is one brand. I know loreal sell them, and I think they sell them at my local suppliers. I've never had a use for them and prefer foils.

Hiya,

I've got a friend who is wanting me to do a lightening/highlighting process on her hair. It's light ash brown at the moment and she is wanting it to go back to bleach blonde, ideally I don't want to do a full head of bleach as her hair is already a bit damaged. I was thinking packets/foils highlights and then matrix colour graphix in between. I'm unsure if this is the right method to go about doing it as Im not a massive fan of packets as they then to slip and bleed easier than foils.
Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Thanks! X

If you think it's going to compromise condition then I wouldn't do it!
I thought colour graphix was a bleach???
Maybe suggest highlights so you can use a lower activator and personally I can not work with anything other than foil. Easimeche and that polystyrene type meche (cringe) I hate using!!!!
As a professional it's up to you to tell your friend/client what is best for her hair xx

I have done alot of dark to light colours and i do lots and lots of fine bleach with 3% foils and tone with ash toner and dont touch inbetween. I tell the customer this is the best method to keep there hair in good condition. The first few times are still sometimes a bit warm. Its a process that can take up to 12 months if they come every 6 / 8 weeks for full head foils. Some people go somewhere else but i dont mind that as they always come back asking how to make there hair in better condition as the hairdresser has bleached the hair and now it feels like straw!!
Clients want quick and easy but to compromise the state of there hairs for a slow progress is a winner for me every time!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have done alot of dark to light colours and i do lots and lots of fine bleach with 3% foils and tone with ash toner and dont touch inbetween. I tell the customer this is the best method to keep there hair in good condition. The first few times are still sometimes a bit warm. Its a process that can take up to 12 months if they come every 6 / 8 weeks for full head foils. Some people go somewhere else but i dont mind that as they always come back asking how to make there hair in better condition as the hairdresser has bleached the hair and now it feels like straw!!
Clients want quick and easy but to compromise the state of there hairs for a slow progress is a winner for me every time!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree, you can then use 6% nearer the top so it all processes together. Matrix Colour Graphics is a bleach with a toner, so you could use that instead of straight bleach. It's been a while since I've used it, but blue or purple would work well.

Latest posts

Back