Location location location???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodipodi

Reaction score
Hiya guys, Im doing a bit market research and just wondering what questions do you ask/information do you gather in order to work out WHERE you'd be best opening a salon? Im really struggling to figure out good location spots etc as everywhere you turn these days theres a salon!......please help :green:xx

Hi, Just bumping this up as I am also looking for this info. x

drive around and see where you would like to set up.
when you find
a) an area that you like
b) an area that has a free shop

then park outside for a few hours a day and see how many people walk past your shop. look to see if its near a bus stop, is your shopfront obstructed in any way, is it noisy, it it invisible.

that can give you an idea of what passing trade you can get.

Saying that, I rent 2 rooms, 1 in a hairdressers, 1 in a chiropody clinic. That helps considerably.

I used to rent a room above a hair salon and business was really poor for me although it wa a busy alon. I took the decision to move to a high street position and business has since taken off. I am the only beauty salon on the main street but I am also right opposite the main car park, so not only is it convenient for clients but it has great visibility too.

Thanx for that advice....do you think its worth the higher rents on main streets/shopping centres for the business it will bring or does it make that much of a difference if you had fewer clients but lower rent? Im awkward I know lol! xx

Thanx for that advice....do you think its worth the higher rents on main streets/shopping centres for the business it will bring or does it make that much of a difference if you had fewer clients but lower rent? Im awkward I know lol! xx

Hmm, I can't answer that one because my high street rent is less than than the hair salon was!!!:eek:

Go where the women go hunni.

Make sure there is PARKING ... PARKING and PARKING near by. Go where the best salon or hairdresser is located. BE ground floor. BE front of house.

More rent is not more when you have lots of exposure and business coming your way.

Most importantly ... think LONG term and don't have a short term mentality ... all that tells me is that you do not believe in yourself. All change is a bit scary but we only fear failure. If you are good and you know you are good then what's to fear??? Nothing.

Flippin 'eck thats great Pure! Think I better look into it then and enquire properly. I know of a salon to rent near me but believe the owners a hairdresser,Id be frightened incase they let me get a decent client base and then wouldnt renew the lease so they could have it for themselves lol! Does anyone know if theres anything in contracts that would cover you to prevent people doing things like this?? I know its not a nice thing to do but I suppose they could if they wanted to couldnt they-they own it-business is business? I definitely am thinking long term though thats why I want to be careful and get it right first time xx

Last edited:
Flippin 'eck thats great Pure! Think I better look into it then and enquire properly. I know of a salon to rent near me but believe the owners a hairdresser,Id be frightened incase they let me get a decent client base and then wouldnt renew the lease so they could have it for themselves lol! Does anyone know if theres anything in contracts that would cover you to prevent people doing things like this?? I know its not a nice thing to do but I suppose they could if they wanted to couldnt they-they own it-business is business? I definitely am thinking long term though thats why I want to be careful and get it right first time xx

No ... if you rent space the clients you have are yours not the salons .. if they employ you then the clients belong to them. Self employed is best and a straight rental agreement.

A contract has in it what you want in it and what the salon wants in it and is a compromise between you both. A contract is not all one way. You need to take a solicitor's advice on this if you know nothing about it. Quickest way to disaster not to take advice.... professional advice ... not geeks advice ... the best money you will ever spend.

I hate the expression business is business ... people say that to feel good about themselves when they shaft someone. Business ethics should include honesty and integrity first and foremost.

Thanx Geeg, yes I believe that also- its a total cop out saying that people use to condone being sly but its said so often and theres some pretty selfish and ruthless people out there who wouldnt care. Youve really made me think about this one,I need to take a bit of your positive thinking on board myself...if Im good then my clients would follow me anyway so I just need to make sure I am! ooooo I feel a march coming on lol! xx

Thanx Geeg, yes I believe that also- its a total cop out saying that people use to condone being sly but its said so often and theres some pretty selfish and ruthless people out there who wouldnt care. Youve really made me think about this one,I need to take a bit of your positive thinking on board myself...if Im good then my clients would follow me anyway so I just need to make sure I am! ooooo I feel a march coming on lol! xx

Sweetheart .. you don't have to tell me about sly, dishonest, thieves rogues and ruthless bastards ... I've worked with them!! But you know what?? If all I could say about myself was that I've got to where I've got through thieving from others I'd feel lower than a snakes belly (which I would be). Honesty and Integrity may be laughed at by the rogues but who is still on top???? :lol:

I know,I couldnt sleep at night if I thought Id shafted or stepped over anyone for my own selfishness.I think if youre a decent person people actually want to help you out of the goodness of their hearts anyway.
Ive just read my other post that you highlighted and I hope you didnt think I was being patronising, it definitely wasnt meant to be but I think sometimes when you write it down it can sound totally different to the way its intended so I hope it hasnt offended??!! I know youve got alot of experience and I appreciate yours and all the other geeks advice xx

Latest posts

Back