Low prices

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellynn

Reaction score
I am currently qualified in spray tanning and I am training at college in facials, mani, pedi, waxing, eyelashes & tinting. I then want to do the Shellac course. My plan is to set up a mobile beauty business once I am qualified in all treatments.
There is another mobile therapist in my area who is charging low prices for her treatments and I have no idea how I can compete with this. For example...She charges £8 for a St Tropez spray tan (the same as I am trained in), £10 for a shellac manicure, £5 for a mani, £15 luxury facial and £15 express lashes.
I feel disheartened now I had looked at costs and once qualified and experienced I would need to charge more than that to make the costs, travel & business worthwhile. Any ideas on what to do? Will I have lower my prices to compete?

I am currently qualified in spray tanning and I am training at college in facials, mani, pedi, waxing, eyelashes & tinting. I then want to do the Shellac course. My plan is to set up a mobile beauty business once I am qualified in all treatments.
There is another mobile therapist in my area who is charging low prices for her treatments and I have no idea how I can compete with this. For example...She charges £8 for a St Tropez spray tan (the same as I am trained in), £10 for a shellac manicure, £5 for a mani, £15 luxury facial and £15 express lashes.
I feel disheartened now I had looked at costs and once qualified and experienced I would need to charge more than that to make the costs, travel & business worthwhile. Any ideas on what to do? Will I have lower my prices to compete?
Why would you lower your worth to be in line with someone else?

Work out your costs and price accordingly. Do your best and people will come back. The type of client you want will come to you regardless of price.

Lots of people do little extra touches if they're more expensive than others locally. Like complimentary massages/ pack home packs/ sweets with coffee etc

Never compete with others, there are plenty of customers for everyone and all price ranges. You won't be getting the same customers as her.

I would never go to someone that charged such low prices,I would be worried about the quality of treatment I received and level.of skill/qualification. It doesn't matter what other people charge,workout how much you need to charge to make a reasonable and worthwhile profit x

She's no competition to worry about because at those prices, if she uses the brands she claims to use, AND she's mobile, she doesn't have a business, just an expensive hobby. She isn't even making minimum wage and is probably barely covering her costs.

I wouldn't even try to compete with someone like that. Set your prices at a level you're happy with, you'll be fine.

Thank you all for replying to me. I appreciate all of your advice! I think I just had a panic after seeing her prices but I do agree it seems like it is an expensive hobby. I'm going to stick with my plans and hopefully there will be enough room for both of us!

Hi MWilliams2012,

Competition is just a sign that there's money flowing. Nothing more. The other gal's prices need not determine yours.

You actually already know this. Think of any industry..

For example, there are writers who charge £10 to write 1,000 words. And there are other writers who charge £100 for the same 1,000 words. And some who charge £100s or even £1,000+ (usually people who know how to sell with words).

With physical products... there are people who make dresses and sell them for £20. And then there are people who make dresses and sell them for £200. And some even for £2,000.

The biggest difference that determines price is the experience people have in consuming your service. Want an example? Let me know. Otherwise, great if this was helpful.

Sunni

When my competition drop their prices I put mine up :)
I regularly but not too frequently up my prices because I'm always adding to the salon, the treatments and the education of my staff and I know my worth. I never check on other salons pricing.
Xx

Is chicken just chicken? It costs more in Waitrose than in Asda. A meal out cost more in Jamie's restaurant than in Burger King - and so on.

If I see a spray tan for £8 I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

We all have competition. I charge £25 for shellac nails and I'm busy. There are a lot cheaper therapists than me, but I get clients and I'm the first to admit I'm not the best nail tech out there!

Spray tans are £20 and we do quite a few.

A therapist near me advertised a top name tan she used and I know for a fact that she didn't use it. She would do prom tans in her salon for a tenner using God knows what.

Advertise well, and don't chase the lower prices.

Vic x

When my competition drop their prices I put mine up :)
I regularly but not too frequently up my prices because I'm always adding to the salon, the treatments and the education of my staff and I know my worth. I never check on other salons pricing.
Xx

Good for you, Paige! Value is just what two people agree something is worth anyhow.

Sunni

Latest posts

Back