Lowlight help needed urgently!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeleigh

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a client that has very blonde hair, I have been highlighting with bleach and 6% and usualy using a 6,0 lowlight and did back to back full head last time but it hardly toned it down at all. Her hair is a bit over processed and the last couple of times the 6,0 has came up really light and washes out quickly. Her base is about a 4. She gets married next week and I need to have her colour looking great! :rolleyes:

Any suggestions to what I can use for a lowlight would be great, she wants to tone it down but keep it blonde. I'm considering maybe 3 colours but really need help on what to use! She likes the lauren conrad 'bronde' look but know this is hard to achieve when ends are so light and roots are dark.

HELP!!!

i did a girls hair yesterday and it sound similar to what you are describing - v blonde and over processed.

I put in an 8/3 and 6%, a 7/3 and 6% and 12/1 and 12%

Did a full head foils, did 8/3, 7/3, 8/3, 7/3, 12/1 (roots only) through the back and sides

Then in the top I did 8/3, 7/3, and 6% bleach (roots only) so that she didn't have an obvious root area.

As you say it doesnt come out as dark as what a 7 looks like on the chart but the /3 on the chart stops it looking khaki and it defo toned it right down, now a nice warmy blonde, not so whitey and brash looking.

Would be wary about someone wanting to change their hair so soon before their wedding though.... xx

Hi, from what I can gather you use Wella colour, this is L'oreal but I am sure it is still the same. What I would do is the bleach 6% on the root only alternate with something like an 8.31 maybe with a tiny 2cm squirt of 7 ( I know technically you should use a 7.3 base with a warm colour but hey if you know the rules you can bend them slightly). But with the 8.31 I would do a colour match shade underneath. This is basically 8.30 mixed with the same measure of water and what you do is apply a thin film of this to the bleached hair (not the root) and then apply your 8.31 shade over the top root to end. This basically puts pigment back into the hair where it has been bleached out helping the 8.31 shade stick to the hair better. I suppose like pre-pigmenting but for foils. I learnt this on a L'oreal course and have never looked back, it's brilliant.

Also for the Lauren Conrad look I would perhaps also do a toner over the whole lot afterwards. Laurens is a very clean blonde, in L'oreal I would do something like a 9.02 richesse. Can't remember what the Wella version would be. I hope that helps a little bit.:Grope:

Lol I did not mean to put a groping smiley on there lol lol

Hi

Thanks so much! You guys are so helpful :lol: I was just a bit worried if I used gold tones over the bleach that the tone would stick to it and maybe go brassy as its so over processed, But maybe thats not the case?
And also would 6% used with depth as high as 7 and 8 lift on her roots as they are so dark being a 4! I think I may be over worrying!

thanks

lol didnt even notice until u said it :biggrin:

oh and if I was to use the pre-pig technique, would I just paint it onto the hair when in the foil before applying the target shade? That may be an obvious question but I want to get this right!

Ahh yes the natural base 4 forgot about that bit, you will probably have to use a different colour on the root, maybe just 8.31 (no 7) and 9%. Really a 9% only lifts 3 levels say this may not be strong enough. Sometimes I do a highlift with 9% just on the root and then the 8.31 through the ends. But that will really be down to your judgement on how much you think it will lift, it's hard to say without seeing it. This is going to make it fidly but you will get the best result. So basically you will be putting a foil in applying what ever you decide to the root and then putting a fine film of the 8.30 and water just on the length and ends where the bleach is and then applying the 8.31 and 7 on the lengths and ends. I hope I haven't confused you.

It shouldn't throw off to much warmth as warmth is what bleached hair needs, it has been stripped off all it's pigment and it doesn't have a hope of holding a true colour unless you try and restore some of that pigment.

Oh and also the tint mixed with water will usually go a very dark purple colour and looks like the hair is grabbing a funny colour, don't panic! The hair is going a nice golden colour it's just the tint that looks a funny colour.

I really hope I haven't confused you

No no not confused at all, I get what you are meaning! :p I might try doing the high lift on the root area, do you have any suggestion as to what would work well with the 8,31 and 7? Just worried incase I pick something that will go too light! I have 9,02 at home that I will use to tone afterwards as I generally tone after highlighting anyway.

Thanks so much for your help

Latest posts

Back