Lush - US hair extension training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purr400

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have seen loads of requests for hair extension training on the internet so I thought I would tell you about my experience with Lush - US.

I have booked my training for 12 September 2011. The training is going to be held in Wickford, Essex start time 9.30am and finish about 3pm. Lunch will be provided. You have to bring a 'live' person to fit the extensions to on the day, they have to pay £50.00 in cash on the day to go towards the cost of the extensions. On the Lush -US website they say ask for a contribution of £50.00 from the person getting the extensions, so you might think that you get the £50.00 (you don't) The 'live' person will get a full head of extensions fitted on the day probably using two different methods of fitting extensions. I believe that Lush - Us is the only company to use live models.

The course costs £450.00. As I have paid £150.00 deposit I have to pay the balance either 3 days before the course date (by card) or on the day by cash.

When I booked the course I had to pay a deposit of £150.00 which you could pay on the Lush -US site. After paying your deposit you are instructed to ring the Lush - US training office and tell them where you want to go for training.
I spoke to a very friendly lady who took me through what the course would entail and what to expect. She also said that 'E' learning was included in the course. 'E' learning is multiple choice questions on types of hair, fitting hair, insurance, health and safety etc. I have passed 3 modules so far , not that easy and you have to get 100% to pass. You can have as many goes at passing as you like so don't worry! The 'E' learning is accessed on-line and you will be sent a password and username to access it.

I have been sent (very promptly) a hair colour ring so I can colour hair match my 'live' persons hair. I then inform Lush - US of the colours and they will supply the extensions on the day.

So far, it's been a good experience!:)

The course was located at a beauty training academy in Wickford. There was a car park behind the academy so parking wasn't a problem. Our trainers name was Katy and she had 8 years experience fitting extensions and was also a qualified hairdresser. Katy was friendly and approachable which was good. There was only one other person in my class that day who was a beautician who wanted to fit hair extensions.

Katy explained that she would be assessing us all through the day and started off by us filling out an 'about me' form. This described why we wanted to do the training and what sort of job we did already. We also carried out a 'consultation' with our hair models using the Lush -Us training consultation pads supplied in our kit. Katy then roughly went through the e -learning package (which has to be completed before the training day). At 12.30 to 1pm approx we started to fit micro rings on our hair models. We were told how to section the hair and how to apply the micro rings correctly and remove them correctly. Katy told me that I had passed during this part of the training. Katy demonstrated how to apply Keratin bond nail tip extensions. More time was spent on this method as it's imperative the bond is applied correctly. It did take me a while to get this right as I didn't like rolling the hot Keratin bond between my fingers! I think they should provide finger protectors as it is so hot and kept sticking to my fingers (ouch) We swapped hair models during the afternoon for half an hour to give us some experience with different types of hair. The rest of the afternoon was spent on your own model fitting Keratin bonds. After a full head of extensions was fitted Katy showed us how to cut them to length and blend them in with a razor.

The day's training finished about 5.30 so it was quite a long day as the training is intense. Katy said that we would only get our certificate when we had completed a second set of e-learning questions. These were not difficult to answer as the questions had been covered in the day's training. I completed the questions quickly and within 2 days I had my certificate delivered.

Included in the course is a folder with all the course work (e -learning) in it which could be referred to at a later date (useful) A case with a trial pack of shampoo, conditioner, intensive conditioner, protein spray. Also included was two sets of sectioning clips, a micro ring threader, micro rings, heat tongs (for applying Keratin bonds), hairdressing comb, and hair extension brush. I have tried the protein spray on my own extensions and it really does work! Katy did have heated razors for sale at £15.00 and Lush -Us luxury aftercare packs at £39.00. Both items were not discounted from their web sites prices except you don't have to pay the postage.

On the course literature it states that you can ring them up afterwards with any queries, and I have. I actually spoke to Katy who trained me and she was friendly and informative.

I would recommend this course as I do feel that I was taught correctly and in a friendly and approachable manner.

Katy also advised that I should find people to practice on. I need people who live in a 15 mile radius of Theydon Bois (CM16) to fit hair extensions to. I can do them at a vastly reduced price probably half of what you normally pay.
I don't think I have missed anything, but if I have please ask and I will see if I can answer it.

Last edited:
I had just emailed Lush today about training locations and stuff hun - be very interested to hear how you find it :D

Shame you weren't travelling from here as I would have loved to come along as your model to see what the training was like also lol xx

I had just emailed Lush today about training locations and stuff hun - be very interested to hear how you find it :D

Shame you weren't travelling from here as I would have loved to come along as your model to see what the training was like also lol xx

im thinking of doing this course so would love to know how you get on x

Latest posts

Back