Make-Up artist training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aayspa

Reaction score
Hello fellow geeklings, hope you all had a fantastic Christmas and New Year.

I have sustained a permanent injury to my shoulder which is causing me a problem performing massage etc so am looking into becoming a make-up artist as I feel this will be less stressful to my shoulder although probably more mental stress!

Have always loved make-up but never taken the plunge as have never been recommended to a good course.

Any idea's on courses that cover a multitude of make-up skills not just bridal?

Has anyone been to the "beauty acadamy"?

I live in Suffolk but am happy to travel to London etc for a good course.

Many Thanks
xxx

Someone must have trained in London or in the south east, please.

Any recommendations would be useful x

There's loads if you search in Google....

I did mine at the London school of fashion, but you can do it at the London school of beauty, London esthetics, Greasepaint, academy of freelance make up etc etc.......you have to look at what you want from the college/course, what my requirements back when I trained could be different to your x

I have googled it a lot but google doesn't tell you which places are good and which aren't. Everyone looks good on the web. There's nothing like recommendation. As we all know, it's the key to our business being successful so I like to treat others the same.

Thanks for your reply x

Not sure what your budget is, but have a look on the illamasqua site, their school is in london. Have not personally trained with them, but have attended a few demos where I am and definately wow'd by the standard and passion they have for their work. Hth xx

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

Not sure what your budget is, but have a look on the illamasqua site, their school is in london. Have not personally trained with them, but have attended a few demos where I am and definately wow'd by the standard and passion they have for their work. Hth xx

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek
I would imagine Illamasqua would be great to train with, they are a great brand but I have no experience of them so can't honestly say if they are.

London MUSE I think also train with Illamasqua and they seem to have great feedback from their students and support their students very well. Have a look on their facebook page.

It does depend a lot on your budget really. I did some short courses with London College of Fashion after my NVQ and enjoyed them thoroughly.

You might try looking at the websites for some makeup artists working in your area and see if they have a little 'about me' section that states where they trained. This is what I did when researching, and I found that pretty much all the successful local artists went to the same school. I am in the north west though so not much good to you!

Greasepaint and Brushstrokes are highly recommended in your area if you look at makeupadviceforum, which is a site a bit like this but specifically for makeup artists (although much less active than on here unless you're given access to the professional boards, which seems impossible as the administrator doesn't respond to any emails, ever... :rolleyes:) Also AOFM has a good reputation.

I would stick to a makeup specific school where classes are taught by working artists rather than beauty therapy centres that offer short makeup courses along with other general beauty training.

Thank you for all your replies.

Budget isn't really a problem to be honest. I'll pay whatever I need to so I get the best training and opportunities.

I agree with training with a makeup specific school. I have looked into aofm and they look great. Would love to do their pro course as covers everything from bridal to special effects however I am not a hair person. My own hair frustrates me and most of the big course involve both hair and makeup. Will keep searching.

X

I would think hair would be a great extra to have under your belt! If I'd have had the money (and time) to do a full course, I'd have definitely picked one with hair included! :)

Thank you for all your replies.

Budget isn't really a problem to be honest. I'll pay whatever I need to so I get the best training and opportunities.

I agree with training with a makeup specific school. I have looked into aofm and they look great. Would love to do their pro course as covers everything from bridal to special effects however I am not a hair person. My own hair frustrates me and most of the big course involve both hair and makeup. Will keep searching.

X

Don't dismiss the idea of doing hair without trying it - maybe do a one day taster somewhere for hair styling? Hair is becoming a really important skill for makeup artists and you may be surprised that you like it more than you expect. I cannot do my own hair (and actually I never do - never do anything more than blast it with a hairdryer) but I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed learning to do hairstyling (just hair up and curling/setting/blowdrying, no cutting or colouring). It was also easier than I had expected (not 'easy', but certainly do-able) so you never know, you might enjoy it.

I am just thinking of doing makeup and done a taster day with the Linda M Brown Academy, it's in London, really intense and knew her stuff, another one for you to look at.

I'm a mua and hairdresser, and most brides want someone who can do both hair/makeup rather than booking 2 seperate people to do each job.

95% of my work is doing both hair & makeup for a client, only 5% is doing either only hair or makeup for the client.

Also on photo shoots photographers prefer to hire someone who is qualified to both hair and makeup rather than employing 2 people to do each job (due to budget!)

Hmmm well decided against hair and have booked my course with AOFM starting in Feb. very excited! But now maybe wondering if I've made a mistake.

I guess only time will tell

I find if bride is going to cut anything out of her budget it will be makeup, she will keep her hair up apt as brides normally choose a hairstyle that they would normally not be able to achieve themselves without professional help.

Same goes for photo shoots too.

Out of the 5% that choose either hair or makeup, 3% of this is hair only and only 2% is makeup only due to the reasons stated above as brides tend value hairstyling more than makeup.

Hi, you live very close to where Pixiwoo have there training school/classes, they also have a lot of great tutorials on youtube that you could have a look at.

I have heard a lot of good things about AOFM, and they also have a lot of work opportunity for MUA's who have graduated with them on their facebook page.

Good luck x

From the research I have done in my area people seem to want a mua only and go to their own hairdresser for the big day or special occasion because they already have a great relationship with them and trust them with their hair.

If hairdressing is needed then I will have to book a separate course and gain much more in depth knowledge than a combination course would teach. A few hair up styles aren't really gonna cut it in the big wide world I doubt.

Only time will tell

Any one know of courses in South Wales , West Wales, Manchester or Brum ?

The best known makeup school in the Manchester area is School of Makeup in Stockport. There's also the Northwest Media Makeup School (formerly Aqua Rosa) which seems to be expanding a lot, and the very small but good for short courses Cheshire Make up Academy. Having checked out the websites of the most popular artists in my area, the majority have trained at School of Makeup, plus a few have trained and worked in London.

Regarding hair, it's not the case that you would need to learn 100's of styles from start to finish - you just need to learn how to manipulate the hair, then you will be able to copy a style from a photo (with practice). Obviously some people are better at it than others and will pick it up more easily (I actually found hair easier than makeup - go figure!) but don't be intimidated by it - there are some basic skills that you need to pick up, but you don't by any means need to do years of hairdressing. In fact, in my experience 'proper' hairdressers aren't very good at hair up/styling as they don't do very much of it - the makeup artists who also do hair styling tend to be better simply because that's what they do day to day.

I'm sure it is possible to be successful just doing makeup - in my area I would say it's 50/50 split between folk who do just makeup and those who do both, although I have no idea what their bookings and profits are like obviously. I imagine if you're highly skilled at makeup you will get recommendations and bookings regardless of whether you do hair, but it might be easier to get started and secure the initial interest and bookings if you do both - I know I wanted someone to do both for my wedding, it's just more convenient.

Latest posts

Back