Make up dilemma!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayne717

Reaction score
I'm not trained / qualified in make up but have had a lady call me today asking if could do her make up for a night out on saturday. I explained to her that I have trained etc but she said she'd still like me to have a go on Friday when she comes for her brows waxing, and if happy will come back on Sat. Do I actually HAVE to be qualified to offer this service and will I be covered by my insurance if I'm not? I intend to get her sign a disclaimer stating that she is aware that I am not qualified and she must accept responsibility in case of anything going wrong - will this be enough to cover me? Also, I do want to train in his area but all the best training seems to be in the south - does anyone know of a good place in the North West / Lancashire?
Thank you!!

if you are providing a professional service then yes obviously you would need to be trained and qualified and feel competent in what you are doing!
after qualifying it took me a good 6 mths of "practicing" and building up my confidence before i was happy to charge a client for a makeup application
i cant understand why she would ask you to "have a go", if she knows you have not even been trained !
i wouldnt do if i were you, what if she were to have an allergic reaction to your products or came out in a rash which was completely unrelated to anything you had done .. you can imagine the fall out and it wouldnt do your reputation much good if you're not even trained, let alone were not insured in it - its just not worth the risk imo
on another note despite what many people think, you dont actually have to have insurance to offer convential makeup applications, but i do .. i just like to have all angles covered;)
hth
ps. re training : i dont really know where im going north of watford, so please forgive me if i get it geographically wrong - but i know a mua in manchester (is that in lancs? embarassed icon if not, lol) who used to teach at a prestigious makeup school in manchester (cant remember name) and now offers 1-1 training in all aspects of makeup, really reasonable rates - pm me if you want her details and i'll dig them out for you, although might take cpl days

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back