Makeup artists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jigz

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am a makeup artist and need to build a portfolio but dont really know how to start. I do Wedding/special occasion makeup, fashion makeup and everyday makeup, so i really need some before and after shots for the wedding makeup as thats what brides like to see when at a wedding fayre's but should i take them myself or would professional photo's look better? Would people feel i was more dedicated to my work if i have nice photo's? should i get a few models and a professional photographer to take some good edgy shots for the fashion makeup and special occasion makeup or just take all the photos myself? sorry if this sounds daft i'm just really in a pickle about what to do!

Thanks
Emma x

Doesn't sound daft at all!!

I want to get into bridal packages next year, concentrating on the make up too, but I know I need to build a good portfolio. I think you've raised some really good points and guess my reply would be that it depends how good you are with a camera!!:)

I'm not great so I would probably get someone to do them for me although of course the cost could end up prohibitive.

Thanks for your reply deb's! :D
If you want any help with the bridal packages or makeup feel free to PM me! :D

thats the thing is it worth paying out about £200, am i going to make it back from the professional look or do i spend around £40 making my own? but risk not getting as much work lol. I really don't no what to do! hope everyone can help me out

Thanks guys :green:

You can get some very good digital cameras and I'm sure you could take some very good before and after photos yourself. They are so easy to use these days, unlike when we did photography we'd have to work out the light with a meter etc, would take a bit of time to setup, whereas a digital camera you more or less point and shoot. Have a little practice say on a friend. If you seek out a professional photographer it will cost you quite a bit of money.

You can also get some very good photo printers that are small and portable, easy to connect your camera, edit photos, and of course you can upload to the computer, edit, touch up, resize.

If you are unsure about lighting etc you can get some very good books on the subject.

Check out some other makeup artists websites to see what they do.

Can I ask where you did your training?

Deb379

Why not try contacting your local colleges that do photographic courses as I am sure they will have students that would love the experience of doing portfolio photo's for you - and probably at a fraction of the cost of professionals.

Why don't you ring round local photographers and organise a test shoot? Then it costs nothing and everyone gets to build up their portfolios!

Did you not get informed about test shoots on whichever makeup course you did?

Hi guys,
I am a makeup artist and need to build a portfolio but dont really know how to start. I do Wedding/special occasion makeup, fashion makeup and everyday makeup, so i really need some before and after shots for the wedding makeup as thats what brides like to see when at a wedding fayre's but should i take them myself or would professional photo's look better? Would people feel i was more dedicated to my work if i have nice photo's? should i get a few models and a professional photographer to take some good edgy shots for the fashion makeup and special occasion makeup or just take all the photos myself? sorry if this sounds daft i'm just really in a pickle about what to do!

Thanks
Emma x
Photos for my portfolio have been part of the package on the make-up courses I did which is a start. Plus I also suggest taking your own photos with a good digital camera. I would imagine that it would be hugely expensive hiring a photographer.

I also feel that the way you show off you pics can add to their appeal eg. gorgeous albumn which can include scrapbooking techniques etc.....

Thanks for all your reply's think im going to take my own!
I'll let you all know how it goes!

Thanks again
x:green:

Latest posts

Back