Makeup course complaint - what do I do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennyvanilla

Reaction score
Hello all...this is my first proper post so bear with me =) I am a qualified therapist and run my own mobile business and everytime I get a bit of money behind me, I like to do a new course. I research the courses and read a lot of stuff on here so I would like to think I'm not naive and try to be as well informed as possible!

However, I went on a one day makeup course recently and feel really unhappy about it....but the woman who does the training, owns the 'school' so I am unsure of where to take the complaint. Below is basically the letter I have written to her so I want to know what other people think before I send it...or if there's anything else I should really say! Thanks in advance!

I have a basic qualification in make up (NVQ2) and was expecting this course to really take that knowledge a lot further as it is described on the site to be an advanced course.

The first issue that I have is with provision of materials. The chairs in the academy are normal, low height, non-adjustable chairs meaning that the therapists were constantly bending over and at the end of the day I was in that much pain from my back that I couldn’t straighten up properly for over an hour. I could still feel the pain three (!) days later! For a training academy where therapists are applying makeup for almost four hours, this is unacceptable.
Hygiene was also poor in the academy. Apart from discussing using disposable brushes for mascara for H&S reasons, there was no other reference to hygiene. Kohl and lip pencils were re-used and when I asked for a sharpener, I had to borrow one from another student as there wasn’t one available.

I was also expecting to be using top quality products for the course and was disappointed to find Rimmel and Collection 2000 products to use as well as “cheap £15 brush sets” as described by the tutor. Disposables were cheap and poor quality. I know that the course asked you to preferably bring your own to get used to working with them but for a training academy I would expect to have a chance to work with types of products I am not necessarily used to working with. I would not use Collection 2000 products on any of my clients as I think it gives out the wrong message.

I have to say that I learned nothing from the course. The only thing that I actually did was use colour in a more imaginative way because there were so many different colours available. All my technique and styling was my own; blending, contouring etc. I had expected this course to really stretch me and teach me different application techniques and how to cater for different eye and face shapes. Instead when I actually did ask a question about colour matching the foundation I was answered with: “Not being rude but if you had taken the three day course you would know because we cover colour matching in the first day”. Well I didn’t take the three day course because I already have a qualification in make-up so why would I spend an unnecessary amount of money? There are always things to learn from other people as technique varies so I was simply asking her the way that she colour matches with the particular products she was using. I didn’t expect what was, quite frankly, a rude response.

Then at the end of the day she told me I had been right not to do the three day course as it would have been a waste of my time as I am good already. After an NVQ Level 2 in Beauty Therapy, I would hardly consider myself a make-up artist hence why I took the course! I couldn't believe it.

In conclusion, I feel I did not receive my money’s worth of training. £130 is a lot for a one day course and I was expecting a great deal more from it. All I have come away with is a bit of experience in using colour. If I had known, I’d have spent the £130 on some make up of my own and practised at home because I would have created exactly the same looks as I did at the course.
I would like to see some reimbursement for this – I didn’t feel I received the professional level of tuition I expected.

So - what should I do please geeks?! What should I expect?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated...... thankyou! =)

oh wow i really do feel for you! collection 2000 and Rimmel? they may be ok for the public to use but realistically for a make up artist this is ridiculous. I really do hope you get your money back or at the very least some of it. I am appalled that this standard of teaching exists and the fact that you were in pain for THREE days?! If they don't appologise and give you a decent refund I would take it to the guild to be perfectly honest. If it's on their list of accredited schools it should be taken off at the very least. good luck x

thanks hun! i'm glad i'm not the only one to think that; there's always a moment when you think you might be over reacting but compared to my CND training and my college training it wasn't even close! i will look into taking it to the guild and see what i can do! thanks again =) xx

That's ok glad I could help for once! I suppose I just believe that training has to be at an immense standard else how is anyone going to learn? Too many certificates are given out these days to incompetent students which makes the trainers not care if anyone gets a good education or not as they will be giving the certificate out at the end of the day and getting their money. It's such a shame. Hope you find a better course! x

You had me at poor hygiene! That's not acceptable. I know some makeup academies spend a WHOLE morning discussing hygiene and practicing it, that's what a good tutor should do.

Def take it up with the Guild if they don't accept your refund, sorry to hear about your bad experience, not every makeup school is like that.

ooh this is a tough one. From my point of view you should highlight that you basically felt that you didnt come away with an awful lot via telephone, normally training acadmeys allow you to re do the course, make you feel comfortable with technique etc. If she is not sympathatic to what you have said, write a strongly worded letter tell the accreditation board of what you found wrong etc.

Product wise like i said tough call considering shes supposed to be a mua, could of used a variety of products and endorsed brands that ppl like use for sensitivity etc

Why not look at london muse, aofm, beauty acadmey, airbase, mac pro master classes, jemima kidd etc Hopefully these may give you the extra confidence you need, with new skills like airbrush etc. Rather than paying full wack last minute deals etc hths xoxo

Hi there, a few issues occur to me about your letter of complaint. Firstly, the course sylabus. Some institutions simply set these out in broad terms - which is a convenient cop-out, so did you call them in advance to find out if the course was actually going to meet your needs. If it did and subsequntly turned out to be a basic course then thats the first issue you should raise. In particular explaining what was offered and what was actually delivered on the day.

You also commented on the hygeine of the salon. Its really a good idea to be specific and give examples about why you thought hygeine was poor. You are probably by now getting my drift - you need to example each of the issues you want to raise and provide some evidence to support it on why you are unhappy about the quality of training etc you received.

The other question I have is, did you express your concerns to the trainer on the day? or if you didnt, when did you first bring it to their attention. If it was by phone, then you should include the date and facts of the conversation in your letter. Also, keep the letter factual and remove the emotion - of course express your disappointment but keep that brief.

You should conclude by setting out what you want, eg the course you thought you were going to get offered to you again or your money back. The Sale of Goods and Services Act sets out the legal responsibilities for those supplying a service - training is a service. Lastly - if you paid by credit card you could as your credit card company to refund the money. You will need to write to them about this and you should include a copy of the letter you sent to the training provider.

Best of luck.

Thanks so much for your advice everyone!! Really helpful and very much appreciated!
Venusian, yes I spoke to the trainer and was assured that 'advanced techniques' would be covered etc. before I went on the course. I have written the letter and removed the emotion as you said, save for a small section at the end where I said I felt let down.
The letter was sent today so I will let you know how I get on! Thanks again for all your help! xx

Do you mind me asking where you done the training? I'm looking at doing advanced makeup and wouldn't like to unwittingly choose this 'training'! I hope you get something sorted xx

sorry you had such a bad experience, I hope you get some reimbursement!!

I would recommend the london college of fashion's short courses. I did a 3 day bridal make up course a few years ago and it was fantastic. It was £500, which I know is quite a bit but I think it was worth it. It was pretty much all MAC make up and loads of it. And a fab (and very helpful/professional) tutor - lots of fun!

I'm doing another short course with them later this month and I'm really excited about it.

Thanks for all your advice! I got a reply from the course leader yesterday - she said she was sorry and had never received a complaint before! She addressed each thing I brought up in the letter and explained how she was going to address it and said she would improve the course this way. She also sent me a cheque for £100.
I really hope the course improves for future students....just goes to show though that if you aren't happy, it's worth voicing your concerns otherwise people will never know and things will never change!

Thanks again geeks!

Latest posts

Back