Making decisions/leaving home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDmakeup

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice. I may have the chance of a job down in England. I'd be down there for about 5 months and then would be back in Scotland where I would continue the job but just in a different place. It's not definite yet but I keep going through it in my head and it's driving me mad. I've been sick with nerves and anxiety for about a week now thinking about it.
I'm 22 and still live with my mum and dad. I know it could be a huge opportunity but I just don't feel ready to leave home yet. My friends keep telling me that it's only 5 months and I know this but at the same time to me that's a long time.
I've made a pros and cons list but they each have an equal amount of points lol.
I see this as a potentially life changing decision and I have no idea how to make it! Any tips?

Looking for a bit of advice. I may have the chance of a job down in England. I'd be down there for about 5 months and then would be back in Scotland where I would continue the job but just in a different place. It's not definite yet but I keep going through it in my head and it's driving me mad. I've been sick with nerves and anxiety for about a week now thinking about it.
I'm 22 and still live with my mum and dad. I know it could be a huge opportunity but I just don't feel ready to leave home yet. My friends keep telling me that it's only 5 months and I know this but at the same time to me that's a long time.
I've made a pros and cons list but they each have an equal amount of points lol.
I see this as a potentially life changing decision and I have no idea how to make it! Any tips?

Hey lovely, it's England not Australia :wink2:

It's a short flight home if you are feeling homesick.

Five months is nothing out of your life and it will give you the confidence to try other new things.

Don't let the fear in your mind hold you back or you may never make the move.

It's comfortable at home but perhaps this is the opportunity to spread your wings just enough to get you to England and back again.

Or you can say no and stay at home and wonder about it ... so from cyber space here is a little nudge pushing you out the door and one of these :hug: xx

Your not leaving home , just going to be 'working away ' for 5 months :)

I am old enough to be your mother but I have lived my life determined never to wonder 'what if ' . I have made some good decisions and some bad decisions but do not regret any of them - All part of life's rich journey .

Take this opportunity - 5 months at 22 - Nothing :hug:

I left home at 19 to train, only to the next city, came home most weekends, not really a big deal. But I was totally distraught and couldn't bare the thought of not being at home.

Turns out it was the best decision I ever made! I came back home a year later a much more confident girl after having the best experience and made friends for life. I was just as upset for coming back home haha.

Don't let your worries hold you back, like the others have said, 5 months is nothing and will fly by. Completely know how you're feeling though. But I'd say go for it :) xxx

So glad I posted this as these replies are working lol thanks. I think it's the thought of leaving and the preparations for going that make it difficult. I know that when I'm gone I'll have a blast, meet great people and hate it when I come home but if I get it the few weeks before I leave will be horrible.
I think I just need a good kick in the bum :D It's good to hear others have been through something similar and it's not as bad as I'm making it out to be in my head.

It's a huge thing leaving home, and people can make you feel like a baby if it upsets you sometimes, which is frustrating!
But I reckon it'd be a great opportunity and you'll love it :) xxx

I'll give you a good kick up the bum :D

DEFINITELY do it! 5 months will fly by! I spent 2 years away from home for college & I've never looked back, now I'm back home I can't wait to move out again. I acquired a real taste of independence, you'll love it :)

Most 18yr olds feel like this when they go away to University. Guess what, most of them then say they've had the best time ever! My daughter's just come home and I know that she really wishes she could still be there.

Go for it! If it doesn't work out and you really can't cope with it, go home. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and I'm sure it will give you extra confidence and maturity. Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone is usually extremely rewarding as you surprise yourself at what you can actually achieve xx

I think I'm going to go for it. Like you all say it will fly by and I'll be back. I'll be leaving home at some point and this would be a great opportunity. Terrified but I'll be so proud of myself if it happens and I've taken that leap.
Thank you all for a push in the right direction xxx

Hey sugar!

Im 22 just like you are. I'm married to an awesome guy but sometimes wonder what my life would have been like if I hadnt gotten in such a serious relationship so young. I got with my hubby at 18 and at the time had also been offered a job. I chose to stay but I really wonder what my life would have been like.

If there is nothing but holding you back but fear then you gotta give yourself a swift kick in the rear. Who knows what good things await you there! Dont hold yourself back!

Xoxo

If it was me I would totally go for it! Even if I was in a panic mode! Its an amazing experience being offered, to know you even tried is brilliant and think of the opportunities it could open up! You could just pop and see your mates in England to party the weekend away once you leave England or you may decide that England is meant for you!

I would LOVE to travel on a cruise ship offering treatments, to have that experience behind you and see a bit of the world even though you work ridiculous hours! But unfortunately due to health it isn't an option :-( ms guts me the experiences I would like to have but cant!

So I would say grab the chance with both hands, if you don't like it, you can pop back to see everyone, or go home if you choose! But you can say you gave it a go :)

Latest posts

Back