Male beauty/spa therapists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlefairy

Reaction score
Hi Eveyone!

I'm currently doing my level 5 HND in Beauty Management and for my research project I've decided to explore why the beauty/spa industry is still so female dominated.

It would be great to hear from male and female therapists in the industry on your thoughts and opinions on this topic.

I'm also new to this site and posting stuff up like this !!!
Thank you x

It depends on which sector you are ref to, the hair nail and make up industry boast some of the worlds best artists professionals ever seen!

Skincare and body treatments such as waxing or massage etc are mostly female based as the clientele are mostly female in the industry and most clients feel
Comfortable with a female therapist due to the nature of the treatments , a client would feel more vulnerable per say.
This mindset is changing slowly but I do think it would remain female dominant so long as the clientele are female. Also certain countries by law men must treat men and women treat women. So even though the western world is trying to amulgamate the world sometimes it just takes time.

He plus side is that a lot more men are now also wanting to take better care of themselves so they are also going to look into treatments available, which could open the door for more male therapists.

That is my 2 pennies worth

I'm a male therapist feel free to pm me

It depends on which sector you are ref to, the hair nail and make up industry boast some of the worlds best artists professionals ever seen!

Skincare and body treatments such as waxing or massage etc are mostly female based as the clientele are mostly female in the industry and most clients feel
Comfortable with a female therapist due to the nature of the treatments , a client would feel more vulnerable per say.
This mindset is changing slowly but I do think it would remain female dominant so long as the clientele are female. Also certain countries by law men must treat men and women treat women. So even though the western world is trying to amulgamate the world sometimes it just takes time.

He plus side is that a lot more men are now also wanting to take better care of themselves so they are also going to look into treatments available, which could open the door for more male therapists.

Ah thanks! I can see what you're saying. There is definitely still the issue with some clients just not feeling comfortable with a man waxing their bits! But look at how many men have delivered babies and work in gynaecology. I think though it is definately moving forward especially in England, not quite as much here in NI. There are a growing number of mens salons. I will hopefully know soon about the therapists. I guess to some people as long as the person treating them is qualified and does a good job it doesn't matter what gender they are. The professional Make-up industry boasts a lot of male make up artists maybe that's because it's thought more of as just that 'art'????
Thanks for your input greatly appreciated! X

I have been qualified and working full-time in the industry since 1998 and I've never found it a major set-back. I'm sure there have been some people who have chosen not to come to me because I'm a male, but not enough to stop me from making a living from it. Nearly all of my clients have been word of mouth and the vast majority of my client base has been coming to me for over 10 years. I think a lot depends not so much upon the therapist's sex but their ability, professionalism and the way they conduct themselves.

I have been qualified and working full-time in the industry since 1998 and I've never found it a major set-back. I'm sure there have been some people who have chosen not to come to me because I'm a male, but not enough to stop me from making a living from it. Nearly all of my clients have been word of mouth and the vast majority of my client base has been coming to me for over 10 years. I think a lot depends not so much upon the therapist's sex but their ability, professionalism and the way they conduct themselves.
Thank you Martin, that has been helpful - I appreciate it. Just for statistical purposes are you based in or around London or is your business in a smaller rural area?

Thank you Martin, that has been helpful - I appreciate it. Just for statistical purposes are you based in or around London or is your business in a smaller rural area?

My salon is in Arundel (West Sussex), which is a rural town

It so refreshing that times are moving forward ! bit slower here in northern Ireland but I'm sure we'll get there lol! word of mouth is the best form advertising - nothing feels better than knowing a client has recommended you to their family and friends !

It so refreshing that times are moving forward ! bit slower here in northern Ireland but I'm sure we'll get there lol! word of mouth is the best form advertising - nothing feels better than knowing a client has recommended you to their family and friends !

yes in that sense its slower here on the whole more traditional views and attitudes... however think its depends on what area of the industry you choose, most of the big spas now have a male therapist and will ask if that is okay when booking you in, look at Paddy McGurkan top of the make up industry here, I think as a man you have the advantage of being unique in the industry and that makes you stand out

good point about being unique. Its seems the more research I do male therapists seem to be more in spas and the make-up industry. Traditional beauty salons not so much, however it seems that other parts of the world are not so fussy about whether a therapist is male or female. There are now many more beauty/grooming salons for men with male therapists so maybe this is the way things will move forward and eventually blend......
thanks for your reply ! Its great to hear everyone's views :)

Latest posts

Back