Male Grooming | Boys Go Brazilian...And Then Pejazzle It!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
It is nothing but a good thing that men are getting their grooming groove on. We are all sick of the judgements made of those men that care enough about themselves to take a little time out and look after their bodies in the way that women have done for decades. It's nothing but great news that the male grooming market is one of the fastest growing segments of our industry...so, yes, of course, we're all for it.

The newest story to hit the media is the rise, or more accurately, the explosion of the 'bikini wax' in all shapes and forms for men. Again, I think this is a great thing. The popularity of the 'below-the-belt' treatment for men has doubled in the last year and it's still on the increase. And no, before you say it, it's not just the gay community. Yawn.

"What we're finding it, it's everybody," say Mike Indursky, president of Bliss chain of spas in the USA. "It's the gay community, it's the straight community, it's very conservative guys, it's very liberal guys. All different age groups are coming in. It's much much bigger than we ever thought." Bliss offer a men's Brazilian called the Ultimate He-Wax for $75 and they're not the only ones.

Face to Face, a salon in the New York's Flatiron district with a predominantly male clientele says that men's waxing makes up 70% of their weekly business. They call their full brazilian 'South of the Border' and charge $70 for it. But they don't stop there...enter the 'Pejazzle'.

Yes, the Pejazzle is exactly what you'd expect it to be and this is pretty much where my support ends for boys and girls alike. Crystals are applied to the newly defluffed areas in patterns 'like stars and dolphins' (dolphins?!). The Vajazzle was (in my humble geeky opinion) just about the tackiest thing to happen in the beauty industry for ages and if I ever came across a man sporting a pejazzle, I'm pretty sure it would take all my self-control to not throw-up in my brain. But that's just me...

Putting the pejazzle to one side for a moment, the fact remains that men are paying more attention to their land down under and this is a good thing. Let's face it, why shouldn't they? As Evan Scott, 32, a music producer suggests that if women are doing it, men have a responsibility right? "If I have that expectations of someone else, I probably would want to return the favour." Indeed, Mr. Padilla from Strip says, "The vast majority say they're doing it because their wife or girlfriend told them to do it. The wives bring them saying, "If I'm going to do it, you better do it as well." (How do these women do it? I can't even get mine to put his dirty clothes in the laundry bin let alone have all his intimate fluff waxed off!)

All in all...it's a good news article. That 50% of the population that have been reluctant to engage in our industry are not-so-slowly but very surely coming around to it. Plus, let's be honest boys, getting rid of your unwanted hair in that area doesn't exactly do the main attraction any harm in terms of size perception does it?

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Image via Danny Ghitis for The New York Times

Attachments

• brazilian-wax-men.jpg
    brazilian-wax-men.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 13,356
Last edited:
I have have seen more business with men's back waxing, and a little more business with the chest area waxing. But, no requests for wax "manscaping". I've had women reveal that their men are doing a bit of grooming with clippers to remove some of the excessive hair growth. The women are definitely favored with this treatment.

I've been doing mens intimate waxing for years, day in, day out and ALL of my clients are straight guys…….your regular husband/boyfriend types from all walks of life.

I hate to rain on your parade but the PeJazzle is as much as an urban myth as the VaJazzle. Nobody really has them done.

Latest posts

Back