Male model dilemma

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spafan

Reaction score
A really good friend of mine owns a salon and has recently finished a male intimate waxing course. On a girlie night out with her and another friend, she asked us to send our husbands (waxing virgins) to be “models” . Her offer is to wax them for free twice and then half-price twice in return for reviews on Facebook etc. We’ve shared holidays occasionally glimpsing each other dashing naked out of a bathroom etc. However I’m really not sure that I want a friend as opposed to an “unknown” professional to become that familiar with my man’s parts even though I like the thought of him waxing. . I like my friend and don’t want to upset her so I don’t want to be unnecessarily prudish or unhelpful. I’d really like to know from professionals whether using friends’ partners as “models” for this type of service is usual and whether it works out OK ?

Hi there!

I have only just passed in waxing and wouldn't call myself a professional by any means but trust your instinct on this one, if you are not comfortable with the idea then don't go through with it.

Does she own her own salon? If not and she is mobile or has a room in her home then she may feel nervous about a male stranger being amongst her first clients etc, although if she has completed that course she should know that's what comes with it, I would maybe say husband wouldn't either like to be waxed or wouldn't find it comfortable with someone that he knows, but that he can have a word with some of his make friends?

I literally waxed my best friends husbands back yesterday, but I would never ask to do intimate parts or even ask her and put her in that position but hey each to their own!

If you genuinely wanted to help this girl out and you know she is professional then maybe say yes he is up for it but that he wants you there for support - then you can see how it goes from start to finish :)

I see where you're coming from, it's potentially quite awkward- but more importantly, how does your husband feel about it?

I do male waxing.

Was she asking or expecting you to send your husbands along? If she was only asking, then you're perfectly within your right to say no. If you feel awkward saying no, then say your husband doesn't want to be waxed.

It takes some of my clients a lot of courage to come see me. I'm not sure some of them would want to go to someone they know. One therapist is happy for her husband to be waxed by me, but he feels awkward about the fact he'd see me outside of the salon. So he hasn't come in.

I'm sure some females would rather get waxed by someone they don't know than do know.

Many thanks for those replies. It does seem that my friend’s idea is not all that common so I’ve worked through it and seem to have got an ok compromise. The points made about talking were good and I’ve talked to both my friend and my husband.

My friend has over 20 years’ experience and she is clear that once she closes her treatment room door she is in professional mode and only sees a client in front of her not a friend. She says that what she sees and hears there stays there. The fact her salon is a shop rather than a home-studio somehow helps me accept that. Husband keeps himself trimmed so the idea waxing wasn’t too big a leap for him and he too wants to be helpful but cautious. So the compromise we reached was that he will go for a first wax with our friend and, assuming all goes well, will write reviews for her website and Facebook etc. which should help her start attracting male customers and that is really "job done" for her.. If he wants to continue after that he will go to another salon.

Once again thanks for the advice and I think all are comfortable with the route we’ve chosen but the proof will be when he goes in mid-September :) XX

Latest posts

Back