Manicures and pedicures-what do you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

souz

Reaction score
Im doing a few manicures and pedicures on regular clients and like to change it up a bit for them....im going to learn some new massage techniques but wondered how you make yours special without adding lots of time....my clients lime to have a mani or pedi in 45 mins and for that they get the following

Pedicures
Foot soak
File and cuticle work
Hard skin removal
Exfoliate or salt scrub
Leg and foot Massage after heel cream is applied
Polish

Manicures
Hand soak
File and cuticle work
Exfoliate
Hand and arm massage
Polish

I try to use different creams, oils and exfoliators each time they come and make sure there are different aromas etc. they all get a drink from the drinks menu of tea, coffee, hot chocolate, cappucino , herbal teas or water. I give a very firm massage which they all love and give lots of advice and tips of how they can look after there hands and feet at home inbetween clients. Always have burners and candles burning too.....what else can i add??

I don't know how you fit all that in 45 minutes! Well done you.
I don't use the word pedicure or manicure.
We don't soak hands or feet ... We use cool blue.
We don't massage.
We don't do hard skin .. We just take care of nails and toes.
Hard skin and mini massage is an add-on service to any toes service.

Jacqui x

Just a few extra bits you could add in.

Use some heated mitts with a few drops of essential oil on them to cleanse over the feet/hands, at the beginning of the treatment. (Obviously check for contraindications first when using essential oils.)
Add a few drops of the chosen oil to the water.
Incorporate some hot stones into your massage.
Take a look at some callus peel treatments to help with hard skin removal.
Add in a mask and wrap the hands/feet up in hot towels or heated booties.
Depending on what brand you use, you could give them a mini polish to take home with them.

I would maybe look at offering a basic mani/pedi, and a luxury version as well so that the client has some choice.

Jacquieleanna how do you get away with no soak etc?? My clients love that part?

I leave an hour for mani/pedi but the other 15 mins is dry time and paying. I use the foot file from sweet squared which is fab and doesnt take 2 mins and neither does applying exfoliator....the massage takes the longest but i only do 5 minutes approx for each foot but do quite firm.

Misslease, like the aromatherapy drops idea and yes ive thought about using heated mitts( i have some but dont use them lol)

I dont want to get into using masks as takes longer. I offer a luxury pedi with paraffin wax but clients prefer the other one i do. Everyone is in a rush all the time which is why ive managed to give them relaxing treatment in a short time. I sold my callous peel as never got used.

For the hot stones do i need to be trained to use them in my massage routine? Id love to do that

Jacquieleanna how do you get away with no soak etc?? My clients love that part?

I leave an hour for mani/pedi but the other 15 mins is dry time and paying. I use the foot file from sweet squared which is fab and doesnt take 2 mins and neither does applying exfoliator....the massage takes the longest but i only do 5 minutes approx for each foot but do quite firm.

Misslease, like the aromatherapy drops idea and yes ive thought about using heated mitts( i have some but dont use them lol)

I dont want to get into using masks as takes longer. I offer a luxury pedi with paraffin wax but clients prefer the other one i do. Everyone is in a rush all the time which is why ive managed to give them relaxing treatment in a short time. I sold my callous peel as never got used.

For the hot stones do i need to be trained to use them in my massage routine? Id love to do that

The soak/no soak has come up a few times and every one has their own opinion. I personally don't soak hands anymore. Soaking a clients hands in water can cause the nail plate to swell. Once the nail returns to its original size, it could potentially cause chipping. With products like cool blue and cuticle away, there's no real need to soak anymore. If im doing a lux mani, i use a big wooden pedi bowl and ladle the scrub/mask off and then wipe over with my heated mitts.

As for the hot stones, you do need to be trained unfortunately as there are quite a lot of contra indications. Maybe something to look into?

Thanks misslease, ive looked for a hot stone mani/pedi course but struggle to find any and i dont do massage?

My clients love the soak part and i dont find it affects the polish at all....i use vinylux and some of them get 3 weeks on hands and forever on toes x

Soaking before overlaying or applying shellac is no longer considered good practice ... And that is what I tell my clients. The nails expand, you put your product on, the nails contract and you no longer have a 'good fit'

Lots of geeks do the whole soak thing at the end of the treatment.

I choose not to. I think most salons still do the whole soak thing though.

Jacqui x

Soaking before overlaying or applying shellac is no longer considered good practice ... And that is what I tell my clients. The nails expand, you put your product on, the nails contract and you no longer have a 'good fit'

Jacqui x

What about if you're just applying a normal nail polish rather than overlays or Shellac etc.? I don't tend to soak, but have always been taught to soak during a normal manicure (I know times have changed :lol:)

Jacqui x

If im doing gel or shellac i do that first and then pedicure, i have that as an add on but normal pedis i do polish at end x

Latest posts

Back